Are Pistons interchangeable?

Are the pistons interchangeable on the 1200 PV engines? I was under the impression that they were. I just rebuilt my engine (not quite complete yet), but it struck me that they may not be interchangeable when I was looking back at the order form when I ordered the new piston. When I ordered the piston I had to order a "red" one. To determine the color, theres a number on the bottom of the cylinder and red is 0-5 and the piston I was replacing is 4. The other two cylinders have a 16 and the color is different for them. I am not sure what the numbers mean, but looking back, I did not put the new piston with the cylinder that had the 4, I just mixed and matched them. Do I need to take it back apart and swap the pistons?

Thanks for the help!

Ideally, they should be matched correctly...but in reality, there is a very very small size difference. Your piston will be ok though, since the 0-5 piston is smaller than the 16.

Polarisnut, thanks for the reply. It turns out my engine is an SBT engine so the cylinders are sleeved. I'm assuming since they are now sleeved that the sizes don't matter? Since they are sleeved, how do you know which size piston to buy, or does it not matter?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joshb View Post
    Polarisnut, thanks for the reply. It turns out my engine is an SBT engine so the cylinders are sleeved. I'm assuming since they are now sleeved that the sizes don't matter? Since they are sleeved, how do you know which size piston to buy, or does it not matter?
    need to mic the cyls... typically the sleeved cyls are a little larger than nicasil

Thanks for the help guys!
    Let change subjects real quick; Since I have the SBT motors the PV waveeater clips don't fit (see the pictures attached) so do I not need to worry about the Clips at all or do they make a clip for these as well?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pv 002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	215144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pv 003.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	215145

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joshb View Post
    Thanks for the help guys!
    Let change subjects real quick; Since I have the SBT motors the PV waveeater clips don't fit (see the pictures attached) so do I not need to worry about the Clips at all or do they make a clip for these as well?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pv 002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	215144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pv 003.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	215145
    you dont need the clips with those

Once your cylinders are bored and sleeved, renicked, or honed, those numbers stamped into the cylinders mean nothing at all. Also, are you running some SBT pistons and one OEM one? Personally, I'd keep them all the same. Not all brands weigh the same.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Once your cylinders are bored and sleeved, renicked, or honed, those numbers stamped into the cylinders mean nothing at all. Also, are you running some SBT pistons and one OEM one? Personally, I'd keep them all the same. Not all brands weigh the same.
    Yes, I am. I did not know the engine was an SBT and I ordered an OEM piston, along with an OEM Crank etc. I wanted everything to be OEM. Everything is OEM except for the top end now I guess. I guess that means I need to buy a new top end during the Winter; maybe I should get a 1300 top end . I would need two though because this is for my XR1800 boat. The other engine is the standard OEM engine.

Thread Information