ECU for 05 fx HO and HO cruiser What's the difference?

I had to replace the ECU on my HO. The previous owner let it go swimming. Anyway, the parts catalog shows the same "part number" for Cruiser and non cruiser HO's. I bought a used one and the numbers on it are 6B6-00. The original was 6B6-10. The ski now runs fine with the new ECU but shows the check engine light and code 47 (slant detection switch malfunction). I have tested the switch for resistance and it is within spec, and I even replaced the switch but still have the flashing light and buzzer and the code. Has anyone decoded what is different between the two? Maybe there is something on a Cruiser that needs to be in the harness to make the ECU happy? The factory manual does not show any differences or additional items for the cruiser in the schematic. Does anyone know what the difference between the two skis is, other than the "old man" seats? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

+1
    I just checked myself.
    The 2004 FXHO and FXHO cruiser both use the 6B6-8591A-00-00 ECU
    The 2005 FXHO and FXHO cruiser both use the 6B6-8591A-10-00 ECU
    The 2006-08 FXHO and FXHO cruiser both use the 6B6-8591A-20-00 ECU..Except for ski's sold in NY or CA(new emission standards in those states for the 2008 models). they use 6AA-8591A-00-00 ECU

They all use the same engine from 04-08. So why the change in ECU #'s. That i have no idea. But, hopefully this helps shed some light on the ECU #'s. It's a start anyway.

Thanks KamakazeGPR for the info. Must have read the part number listings incorrectly.

Anybody need a perfect condition 50hour ECU for an 04 FXHO? (just kidding, I know there are classifieds for that.) I guess I will have to get a harness for an 04 or find an 05 ECU. Again, thanks.

+1
    I see you have 2-05 fxho's. You can try swapping out the ecu from the other 05 ski to confirm that there is nothing wrong with the slant detection switch. Or, try the 04 ecu in the other 05 ski and see if the code comes up for that ski also. It may be possible that the 47 code was locked into the 04 ecu's memory from the previous owner's ski and it needs to be erased at a dealer with the YDIS software. Or, they're just not compatible. You can try calling a dealer and ask. You may get lucky and get a knowledgeable service guy.

I have switched the ecu's out and do not have the problem with the -10 ecu from the the other ski. I have tested and switched the switches. Good suggestion on attempting to remove the codes with the scan tool. I wish someone had cracked the "have to buy the yamaha cable and software to access the history" issue. My local dealer(s) know quite a bit less than I do about these antique skis. (If your crap is more than three years old, their solution is to buy a new one). I will call them and see how much a hookup to the tool will cost. It is likely to be half way there to just buying an another ECU. Again, thanks for the help and suggestions.

Yamaha fx ho ecu

Quote Originally Posted by cnyman View Post
    Thanks KamakazeGPR for the info. Must have read the part number listings incorrectly.

Anybody need a perfect condition 50hour ECU for an 04 FXHO? (just kidding, I know there are classifieds for that.) I guess I will have to get a harness for an 04 or find an 05 ECU. Again, thanks.
    I have an 04 fx ho and require a new ecu if you still have 1?

+1
    I had similar problems in the past with mixing early or later model ECUs with different year FX HOs. I tried the original ECU & wiring loom on a 04 HO with a 08 engine and had it throw codes so I settled for using the 08 ECU & wiring to match the engine and everything worked except the tach on the 04 gauges. After we got home from riding I did some experimenting with the 08 gauges and everything worked like it should. I am assuming that when Yamaha moved the mode switch and other features to the sides of the gauge the wiring loom got changed to accommodate these which caused the tach signal mismatch? I was able to remove any recorded codes from the 04 ECU history with my YDIS.

Scott

Thread Information