Need a pair of big skis for some ocean riding...

I recently acquired a place in Maui... and I just can't let myself have a beach house and no PWCs. So I'm looking around at big skis that are going to provide a good ride in choppy ocean conditions.

I'm partial to Yamahas, however, I've had read here and there that the FZR/FZS might not be the best option for ocean riding. I don't mind a slightly bouncy, wet ride, but other people that will use the ski (family, people riding with children, older folks)... so I want to make sure the ride is nice and smooth when it needs to be - but I also want a high performance machine for when I'm on the things!

I also need efficiency... these skis might go on some long rides (60-80 miles), and it would be nice if I didn't need to to refuel.

So... here's what I'm looking at..

- Yamaha FZR/FZS (maybe one FZS and one SHO Cruiser)
    - Seadoo RXT-X 260 aS
    - Kawasaki Ultra 260 (or whatever they release in October)

That Seadoo looks like it may be the winner so far... closed loop cooling system is nice in the ocean... so is the suspension system. But I'm worried about the reliability of all the gadgets on the thing.

Any input? I've done lots of searching, but hey... it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

- Abe

+1
    I would suggest test riding all of them before you decide.
    The 2010 RXT-X is very big and impressive; I have test ridden that beast and it's pretty ideal for ocean riding. Closed loop cooling is a winner in salt water. I'm talking about the T-X without the suspension. Personally I would not go with the suspension model, I think they are prone to breaking. If you want a Yamaha consider the FX SHO vs. the FZ series, but be aware these nano hulls are not suitable for jumping big waves in my opinion. The Kawis are not my favorite due to GIO and other issues, the Kawi hulls have the best track record for offshore performance, but they drink gas like crazy and that is a concern for you. I would take a long hard look at the 2010 RXT-X and like I said, test ride them all before you buy.

I plan on testing as much as I can, but I think it may be hard to get a good test ride in on all the models I'm interested on Maui... limited dealerships there.

The weakness of the new Yami hulls does worry me, as I do not see myself being able to refrain from a little wave jumping here and there. Hopefully I can check out the RXT-X 260 and get a test ride... because if I enjoy that ride, I'll just jump on those!

And yeah... if the Kawi skis are thirsty, that pretty much DQs them for me. I'd hate to run out of fuel half way back from Molokini.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abe View Post

That Seadoo looks like it may be the winner so far... closed loop cooling system is nice in the ocean... so is the suspension system. But I'm worried about the reliability of all the gadgets on the thing.

IMHO the closed loop cooling system seadoo use is a gimmick......just something else that needs servicing, & the exhaust system is open anyway & still needs flushing!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    IMHO the closed loop cooling system seadoo use is a gimmick......just something else that needs servicing, & the exhaust system is open anyway & still needs flushing!
    I have almost 350 hours on my closed loop cooling and never had it serviced.

For fuel consumption stay away from the superchargers!! If looking at new jets the yami 1800 N A is pretty good on fuel. Looking for used jets the 1100cc fx ho is the best for performance and fuel economy. They will get you about 120 miles on a tank at 45mph cruising. The 1800cc N A will use about 10% more fuel. With a few mods the 1100cc will get you about 63+ mph with out loosing a noticeable fuel consumption. The 1800cc S C stock will run about 67 and get 5.5 mpg cruising at 40*45mph. All have the 18.5 gal fuel tank.

+1
    I would get a pair on 1.8 FX non supercharged yamaha seeing as its not just you riding,if you going to keep a pair of sho's without BOV's the clutches wont last long with friends using them and chopping the throttle hard in the ocean,
    my buddy and i have done a fair bit of distance work with some 1.8 n/s and they seem great and give the best fuel return for speed IMO,
    sorry cant answer on any other makes as im branded from 14 years of ocean riding with nothing but good things to say about yamahas and the flip on other makes,ive seen em come and go over the years and nothing has impressed me more the the yamaha.....

+1
    +1 the reliabilty of the yamaha is legendary. i have seen friends buy 3 seadoo's to my 1 yammi and i do loads more hours than them. 120 hours and never had to touch it you wont get that with a seadoo. mine is a fx sho by the way and had no issues at all.

Thread Information