Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sawtooth763

Cooling System Air Bleed 2004 MSX 110

Does anyone know how to successfully bleed all the air out of a 2004 MSX 110.

I think mine has air trapped somewhere in the system after a new head gasket was installed and I've tried everything I can think of to get the air out.

Thanks for any help.

+1
    Hi Mark,

What are your symptoms? What makes you think you have air in the system?
    The system will bleed itself if you run it without the cap for a minute or so.(Line running to coolant tank from coolant rail)
    Is the coolant when cold level on the bottom mark? you need some room for expansion.
    Let us know

Cheers

Sawtooth763
    Hi Kosh,
    My engine light, and engine indicator come on at about 4300 rpm, then the ski goes into limp mode. When this happens I check the engine temp by splashing lake water on the exhaust manifold and it just rolls off, it does not sizzle so I'm pretty sure the engine is not really hot.

The ski has had it's head gasket replaced (not by me but by a dealer ~10hrs away when my brother-in-law was trying to have it fixed) so I thought perhaps this could be the casue. I've replaced both temp sensors, made sure the coolant was to the lower mark on the coolant bottle.

There is a guy that has contatced me with the same issue on his MSX 150 and he has replaced all sensors and the computer and still the same issue. So now I'm 1st trying to see if all the air is out, then I was going to replace the head gasket to see it this does the trick.

Any thougths?

Cheers, and thanks for your help.

mark

+1
    Most good auto repair shops should have a tester to check for hydrocarbon's/exhaust in the cooling system. It would tell you if there is a leak-such as a gasket or cracked head/cylinder,but not where the leak is.

There is also an auto tool that creates a vacuum in the cooling system (could tell if there is a leak) than completely fills the system. I have no idea if it has the correct adaptor for your cooling system..

I'm not familiar with your cooling system-but air usually collects in "high spots",are there any unusual high spots in your system? Try loosening those connection/parts to let the air out.

+1
    Hi Mark,

Don't shoot me if I suggest something that may seem simple! I don't have all the facts like how long does it take to overheat? Have you checked the water injection orifice in the exhaust manifold?

There are two cooling systems the engine with coolant and the raw water that cools the heat exchanger, inter cooler, exhaust manifold and oil reservoir. If I had your symptoms I would make sure the raw water inlet and lines are clear and have no sand /muck trapped in them.

If you are sure the heat exchanger is clear move onto the engine coolant system.

Unscrew the coolant cap and observe if you have coolant flow returning to the expansion bottle when the engine is running this at least tells us the water pump impeller is turning.
    All good? next stop is the thermostat, to check this you will have to remove it from the engine and drop it in some boiling water to see if it opens.

You can pressure test the system reasonably easy, pull the coolant return line of and plug it with a 0-30psi gauge and plumb a bike pump to the bottle inlet, you wont get more than 15psi before the cap starts to relieve. It must hold pressure not bleed away otherwise you have a leak externally or internally.

None of the suggestions are detailed just starting points.

Cheers

+1
    Sorry double post

+1
    After the long winded post above I reread your inquiry

Which indicator is coming on just the red light and Check engine or a temp symbol?

Sawtooth763
    Hi Kosh,

Don't worry won't shoot you, any idea is a good one.

Have checked;
    Exhasut manifold is getting water.

Lake water system, clear? Not sure, I've checked the hose from the inlet up to the front of the ski to what I believe is the intercooler, all clear. Form there I haven't bee able to come up with a way to check the rest of the lake water system. And ideas.

Coolant is flowing into the coolant bottle.

Have checked the thermostat, it's OK.

Have pressure tested the system, it's OK.

+1
    Hi Mark,

Can you clarify the warning indication please? I understand the red light is flashing but what is the coresponding symbol in the disaplay. Check engine or a temperature logo? does it only fault when you get to 4300rpm? this sounds like it may be another problem.

THe raw water goes to the intercooler first then comes back to the heat exchanger which exits into the Oil reserviour (this is where the flush line is tapped into) out of the oil reseviour and into the exhaust manifold (tee'd to water orifice in exhaust stream)then from there travels out of the fitting at the end of the exhaust manifold exiting the ski into the pump box.
    You need good flow throughout the whole system one restriction and the system suffers .

Cheers

Sawtooth763
    Hi Kosh,

Will let you know this weekend after I take the ski out for a spin. I did find a lot of air in the coolant rail by the engine temp sensor today. I pressurized the coolant reserve then loosened the engine temp sensor and a lot of air came out. Am in the process or trying to get all the air out before taking the ski out for a run. Will let you know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information