Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Pros and cons on intercooler setup

Want to know what you guys think. I know the supercharger is like a high flow fan I guess you could call it. Does it actually compress the air?
    Reason I ask is that my buddy made a pretty unique suggestion. Most of you run the 4"/3" air intake into the supercharger, then to the intercooler then to the air intake.
    His suggestion is to run the 4" air intake into the intercooler, then to the supercharger and then to the air intake.
    Whats your opinion? He said thats the way they use to run them on their race cars.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    Want to know what you guys think. I know the supercharger is like a high flow fan I guess you could call it. Does it actually compress the air?
    Reason I ask is that my buddy made a pretty unique suggestion. Most of you run the 4"/3" air intake into the supercharger, then to the intercooler then to the air intake.
    His suggestion is to run the 4" air intake into the intercooler, then to the supercharger and then to the air intake.
    Whats your opinion? He said thats the way they use to run them on their race cars.
    SHOOTER
    Shooter, you scare me! I was thinking about the same thing last night bro.

Run a second IC, on the intake for the SC. There should be someone on here that can enlighten us.

+1
    Well Mike was saying to just run the 4" air intake straight into the intercooler then exit it to the supercharger. Then there is no need to do two couplers and a straight hose.
    I bought some couplers and I guess I bought the wrong ones so I was thinking of doing this to save some money. I am frustrated with doing this intercooler. I think I am going to make a post to see if someone can tell me what parts to buy to do it the way the guys are doing. Then try both ways and see if I see a difference.
    SHOOTER

Banned User
    +1
    To answer the first post, air heats up when compressed by the SC, therefore it must be cooled. Typical SC with 75 degree air temp and 75 degree water will head up to around 220-240 (SC dependant) from the SC, then get cooled to around 100 degrees by the IC before entering the intake...

When at full draw, the air inside the engine compartment will be ambient temp. So to answer Woody, why subject the intake charge to a resistive path when it will only be within a few degrees of ambient temp?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    To answer the first post, air heats up when compressed by the SC, therefore it must be cooled. Typical SC with 75 degree air temp and 75 degree water will head up to around 220-240 (SC dependant) from the SC, then get cooled to around 100 degrees by the IC before entering the intake...

When at full draw, the air inside the engine compartment will be ambient temp. So to answer Woody, why subject the intake charge to a resistive path when it will only be within a few degrees of ambient temp?
    This is true, thanks Danny.

+1
    [QUOTE=shooter98xpl;1557227]Want to know what you guys think. I know the supercharger is like a high flow fan I guess you could call it. Does it actually compress the air?
    SHOOTER[/QUOTE

this would just cool air to heat it up again in the supercharger and im sure it would reduce flow as well since your going from 4" to 3" ... this would be a waste of a intercooler in my honest opinion.... they are designed to cool the charge going directly into the intake.

+1
    Roger that, guess thats what I wanted to hear.
    And now, I posted up another thread trying to figure out for these conversions placing the intercooler in the rear off the midwall mounts, what couplers and piping did you guys use?
    SHOOTER

the restricted intake will increase your intake air temp

+1
    If you're building a drag set up and want maximum cooling, loose the water to air intercooler and go this way...

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced...yocooling.html

I've seen intercooler temps around 35F imagine the air temp and the extra power that will give you.... acceleration you can't hold on with.

If its strictly drag id say a air/water ic with an ice chest is the best way to go.. the air to air with the co2 sprayer works good for blasting an ic cool but if it is inside the hull which odds are it will be you are now filling the hull with co2 and itll get drawn into the intake...good idea but maybe not on a ski

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information