Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Using a powershot and not using a powershot

I admit.. I confused. I am a first time Yamaha owner this summer and am planning to do some mods on the skis over the summer.

EVERYTHING Ive read states that a reflash and a drop in wheel requires the use of a powershot. Someone recently mentioned to me that a monster C3 wheel and an R1 reflash did not require a powershot. I was skeptical so I contacted R&D.

I asked:
    "I heard that the R1 reflash used with a C3 wheel doesn't require a powershot. Can someone just confirm this for me? I will be placing an order soon."

Here's the response from R&D:

"Yes that is correct. R1 and R2 can be ran that way. The difference is with a C3 wheel we recommend using premium fuel ( 91 octane minimum )"

This conflicts everything Ive read..

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Hueneme Beach Ca.
    I run a B1 Riva wheel and the R2 program.
    It runs great with no Powershot. It ran 79.1 this weekend with this setup.

what was your afr?

Are you using an aftermarket intercooler?

+1
    I was thinking about typing up a little bit about this exact topic. I'll try and do that when I have time later tonight. It won't be anything new for some, but it will help others who are just recently getting involved in this platform.

awesome. thanks!

Pending your response, I called R&D today and spoke to Glenn in tech support.
    He basically said that a powershot is not necessary with an R1 or R2 reflash and a monster C3 wheel or a Riva B1 wheel and the ski will run just fine when the weather is warm. He said when the temperature cools off it "might be a good idea" to add the powershot so that the ski doesnt lean out.

+1
    Thats interesting james. My ECU and powershot are at R&D now getting the r2 reflash. I'll be using it with the b1 wheel for now. Guess i'll have to read the instructions for the new powershot settings to use with the B1. If it gets me confused, i'll call him like you did.

My ski has run flawless for the past 60 hours(except when I forgot to fully plug in the #1 injector electrical connector..oops!) with the B1 and powershot set at the default R&D settings. No bogs anywhere through the powerband. I hope the reflash runs just as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
    Pending your response, I called R&D today and spoke to Glenn in tech support.
    He basically said that a powershot is not necessary with an R1 or R2 reflash and a monster C3 wheel or a Riva B1 wheel and the ski will run just fine when the weather is warm. He said when the temperature cools off it "might be a good idea" to add the powershot so that the ski doesnt lean out.
    Glenn is an owner, not just a tech guy.

Just tell them you want an R2 and that you want to run a C3 wheel WITHOUT a powershot and they will make it work.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    Thats interesting james. My ECU and powershot are at R&D now getting the r2 reflash. I'll be using it with the b1 wheel for now. Guess i'll have to read the instructions for the new powershot settings to use with the B1. If it gets me confused, i'll call him like you did.

My ski has run flawless for the past 60 hours(except when I forgot to fully plug in the #1 injector electrical connector..oops!) with the B1 and powershot set at the default R&D settings. No bogs anywhere through the powerband. I hope the reflash runs just as well.
    Do you have an LC-1? If not, you may want to get one to be able to really dial in your ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Do you have an LC-1? If not, you may want to get one to be able to really dial in your ski.
    A dynotune LC-1 will be in my future. What is the bung of choice these days, riva or R&D? and i saw tommy recommended the adapter to keep the sensor away from the water in pipe. Is that a must that most agree with. It would be nice to get everything right the first time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information