Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Constructing a DIY intercooler for the SHO

I am working on more than one SHO powered ski this winter and I cannot justify the cost of an aftermarket intercooler kit. While I am a new Yamaha owner, I have ten years experience with seadoos and several years experience with the 4-tec motor. On RXPs, I put together my own intercooler kits using air/water intercoolers and parts off of frozenboost/ebay/silicone intakes.I thought I would apply the same principle to building a Yamaha intercooler kit for the SHO.

I have been looking at the 'Type13' intercooler from frozenboost

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...ab745f01ef4301

It looks like it will fit. I am not sure what type of bracket will secure it to the motor however. Does anyone have a pic of the bracket that comes with any of the kits, specifically the "JD1" kit?

The next issue is the piping-
    It looks like a 180 degree bent pipe will work. I am assuming 2.5".

What does the piping look like going from the IC to the throttle body? Does anyone have a picture of it? its hard for me to see down there. It appears to be somewhat "J" shaped.

I was thinking about trying one of these blow off valves also.

Yes, I am aware that it is a P.O.S. but the JD1 kit also comes with a generic blow off valve and I havent read anything negative so far.. As long as it wont leak it should be fine. it also comes with the flange so once I weld it to the IC, I can always change it later if an HKS bov comes along at a good price.

I searched the site for "DIY Intercooler" and found nothing. I apologize if this turns out to be a repost. Hopefully someone can get me some pics/info on this to help me [and presumably others] finish putting something together.

There is tons of information in the forum now on various intercooler installs we used (are using) that we made from scratch going back to 2008(ish) prior to Rivas Powercooler, JD's Kit, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    There is tons of information in the forum now on various intercooler installs we used (are using) that we made from scratch going back to 2008(ish) prior to Rivas Powercooler, JD's Kit, etc...
    Thanks for the fast response. I am new to this section and dont know my way around very well yet

When It came to seadoos, I knew who to contact with a question; In fact, I had people in speed dial. When it came to that stuff, I knew exactly where to look, but Im in new territory here

I went into 'advanced search' and tried several different combinations of 'intercooler' 'diy intercooler' and didnt get any results. I found it odd because Im sure its been done many times.

Can anyone provide me with some pics or links to pics? If so, I would really appreciate it.

+1
    It may not be the IC you want to use, but here is my old build thread on how I did up a type 19 IC in my SHO. I have since switched over to the JD IC. My type 19 worked well, but I did have a noticeable gain in switching. I know it may seem like the JD kit just a frozenboost core (which it is not) pieced together with couplers and a few other fittings, but a lot of time and research went into his kit. He actually tested ALL of the FrozenBoost cores and ended up going with a somewhat similar, but modified core/tank that gave better numbers though Motec datalogging.

I understand it is an expensive kit, but honestly, unless you do all your own fabrication and welding, it's hard to do your own for less than $500 WITHOUT the added cost of the BOV. Add in the BOV and you're at about $700. So is an extra couple hundred bucks worth all the time and energy you'll spend doing it all yourself? For some, absolutely. I actually had fun building mine, but some people hate/or aren't too keen on fabbing up brackets... mounting... testing. They'd rather be out riding. I did mine over the winter to avoid that riding conflict.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...pe-19)-for-SHO

Im going to try the type13 so the piping will be different.. but the lower pipe should be the same. It looks like it just needs a J bend. That pic was very helpful.

Im still skeptical about the $980 IC kit and the gains justifying the cost.. but I do appreciate your input. I do not want to criticize something I have no experience with and piss anyone off. I am only making an observation based on how it looks on paper which may or may not be fair. Im going to be modding a total of three skis and I cant justify paying $3000 in intercoolers for jet skis. Ill just leave it at that.

Its looking like I can make a DIY kit for around $250 a piece and have someone locally weld the flange for the bov on for me.

The ones I made for my 4tec skis cost me about $150 to make and worked perfectly. One is still on the mrs' ski and after two years shes doing 82mph with no issues.

+1
    I put the 19, 5 and 12 down the back. I'm very happy with the 12. But it's not everyones cup of tea.
    The 13 down the side is best FB option if you can do your own bracketry, which is a pita.
    Just get as much airflow in and out as possible.
    Any BOV is better than none. That a whole other internet pissing match on it's own.

I agree with Hitman, the off the shelf kits can be worth their the money after is all said and done. But also boring,lol.

Don't forget there is heaps of room over were the stock air box "was". I've seen a couple of good setups like that.

Have fun,

Dean

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
    Im going to try the type13 so the piping will be different.. but the lower pipe should be the same. It looks like it just needs a J bend. That pic was very helpful. As was the pic of the bracket. You didnt break it?

Im still skeptical about the $980 IC kit and the gains justifying the cost.. but I do appreciate your input. I do not want to criticize something I have no experience with and piss anyone off. I am only making an observation based on how it looks on paper which may or may not be fair. Im going to be modding a total of three skis and I cant justify paying $3000 in intercoolers for jet skis. Ill just leave it at that.

Its looking like I can make a DIY kit for around $250 a piece and have someone locally weld the flange for the bov on for me.

The ones I made for my 4tec skis cost me about $150 to make and worked perfectly. One is still on the mrs' ski and after two years shes doing 82mph with no issues.
    Really sucks there are no more affordable cooler kits for us. All these kits for a grand just reinforces........... Make my own! Im sure its great but I will not drop $1000 on an intercooler.

If that kit were $500 ballpark and not $980, Id consider it.. but I just cant justify it.. especially when Im going to need them for more than one ski.

I did not start this thread to criticize the price of IC kits- it was just to get info about building my own.

if anyone wants to share pics of the brackets they made, that would be really helpful to me. It looks like Ive got the lower pipe figured out. A simple, short 2.5" J (cut to fit) should work just fine.

Type 19/20 examples.
    No, this is not the best there is, but it served me very well up until I got an E1 wheel.

+1
    Great thread Powerslave! I will be following this one closely.

I have not purchased an aftermarket IC because I have a really difficult time getting from the $150 FB Type 14 IC to the $900 + "kits" that are on the market. I know there is power in boost but...

Seems like we just need some info like you're saying.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information