Thread: Lanyard

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar

Lanyard

I need to find a lanyard for one of my skis. Two skis, one lanyard, not so good. I went to a local shop that deals with Yamaha and Kawasaki and they had an exact identical lanyard to the one I have, but they wanted around $50 for it. Has anyone found a good source for lanyards that work with these skis either aftermarket or 'factory equivalent'? The one I have is in half decent shape, I had to stitch up a few spots on the neoprene wristband because it was about to rip in half, but it is holding well now. I would really like to replace it if I can get a decent price...

+1
    15.00 here at our stores. some have 3 keys on 1 for all the skis too. ebay sells them for 15.00 to 19.00 usually too. Maybe my jetski junkyard powersports store may have a used 1 for cheap. i could look for ya. 50.oo is crazy..

I reccommend get one that has the coils in it. the straight line can be pulled out of the ignition by accident.. not good if making a crazy wild manuveur to save your life and the lanyard pops out because its a straight line instead of coils giving a little.

I know this because ZORA knocks the cord out! Usually at the worst possible time. WAVES! let alone an evasive manuvuer.

When I have my coiled one on, it never happens. even if she slides off the ski to one side it still doesnt come out. I would have to be ejected before the key comes out..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    eBay, sometimes craigslist.

Should be able to find them for $5 to $10, especially if you buy several. I think the old style Kawasaki lanyards are the same as Polaris.

I always carry a spare lanyard on each PWC. Put it in the storage bucket. If you lose or break your lanyard while on the water, you have a spare.

And if your passenger needs to take over after you hurt yourself or get ejected from the watercraft, there is a spare lanyard ready for them to use.

+1
    Thats a good point keith keeping the extra key on the ski instead of the driver.that way the other person or rescue whatever,,, can get the ski moving without you or your key.. I usually keep my extra on my life jacket , not the ski, i think i'm gonna change it to the ski.. maybe around the bars instead so if anyone had to find a key, it would be easy to find. not all hidden away in some place noone will look for it.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    I like the coiled ones too. Gives you a little stretch before it pulls out. It is funny that ZORA has pulled your lanyard on you, the only time that has happened to me was when me and my brother in law were trying to prove that you can ride two-up on the little SL. We were almost planed out, he went to reposition a bit further forward and accidently pulled the lanyard....we both went for a swim! Eventually we did prove that two of us can ride the SL, not well, not easy, lots of porpoising, really wet, but it is possible just really hard to plane out with 500+ lbs on the ski.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1145.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	215089

Home grown engineer, and professional tinkerer. 2 Strokin' Polaris's Avatar
    Jet Logic is the brand that has stood the test of time down on the South coast. Stores like Academy, Bass Pro Shops, and Gander Mountain usually have them in stock. My experience has been that after 6-7 years and some falling off action the coils start to crack and will ultimately send you back for a replacement. However this has been the best in terms of comfort, and durability I have seen.

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    here is what i have used for the past three years http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...134-01494-0011

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    ...keep my extra ... maybe around the bars instead so if anyone had to find a key, it would be easy to find. not all hidden away in some place noone will look for it.
    The K38 PWC rescue folks keep their spare lanyard strapped to the ski in a visible and accessible location near or on the handlebars.

In the event of a lanyard failure or loss, they want to be able to get going again ASAP. They often ride in difficult waters or when time/space is tight; surf, race course safety, etc.

Lanyards are inexpensive, you can carry one in storage and one on the handlebar.

BTW, some people think of the lanyard as a security or theft prevention feature. It really isn't. If you want to disable the ignition, you will have to add something to the engine (shut-off switch).

On my MSX 140 I have installed a Nautilus Battery Guard remote controlled starter disable. Works well enough, but the remote modules are somewhat fragile. There is a manual override, so we can always get it started (you have to know what you are looking for to find and activate the manual mode).

Of all the Polaris models, only the Genesis and Virage came with a factory security system, built into the MFI display.

+1
    i like a zip tie on mine never have to worry then

Thread Information