2001 GP800R intake grate

Hello,
    Just bought a 2001 GP800R and ready to start my fall project. Did some research and found out I have to address the PV, CAT, and pump. Found enough info so I think I understand those issues; however, got one question about the intake grate....

Do I need to replace that also....not clear about that...one thread recommends it needs to be replaced only if there are mods that help with the top end speed...if its stock, then no need to replace it...

Can someone clarify...thanks...

+1
    It is a SAFETY issue.

About 68mph seems to be the point where issues come up. When you decellerate from a speed higher then that, the pump overstuffs and you get a real eye opening turn, and in many cases will get ejected. Happened to me 1 time, and that was enough for me. The aftermarket intakes reduces and redirects the water entering the pump.

The mods that you listed are not about speed but about reliability, so no need to get an intake at this time. In other words, it is not a must have component.

I will suggest to you though that even though you will not exceed the 68mph (a few have gotten a 1200 stockers to this speed, but it is rare) the other positive to the intake is the better hookup in rough water. You can potentially gain speed in rough water, but there is a small loss of top speed in smooth water.

Put on some go fast components and the intake is an absolute must.

IMHO, get it because you really will like the hole shot and hookup.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    It is a SAFETY issue.

About 68mph seems to be the point where issues come up. When you decellerate from a speed higher then that, the pump overstuffs and you get a real eye opening turn, and in many cases will get ejected. Happened to me 1 time, and that was enough for me. The aftermarket intakes reduces and redirects the water entering the pump.

The mods that you listed are not about speed but about reliability, so no need to get an intake at this time. In other words, it is not a must have component.

I will suggest to you though that even though you will not exceed the 68mph (a few have gotten a 1200 stockers to this speed, but it is rare) the other positive to the intake is the better hookup in rough water. You can potentially gain speed in rough water, but there is a small loss of top speed in smooth water.

Put on some go fast components and the intake is an absolute must.

IMHO, get it because you really will like the hole shot and hookup.
    +1
    On my 06' 1300, when it was stock, first real WOT pass at 64 mph, i let off and the ski hooked hard and i almost flew off with the stock grate. Not a fun thing to happen.

+1
    my 04 did it at 64 also

My bone stock '04 1300 bucked me when I let off at about 63mph. That hurt... badly. In fact, I have to get arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder because of that incident.

thanks guys...So the issue is more towards the 1200/1300 vs the stock GP800 (unless its been modified for speed)....I will have teenages driving this so dont want them to get bucked and get hurt....

I think I understand now....thanks again

+1
    Definatly get the grate even on the 800.

Thread Information