Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Riding impressions of the Ultra 150

This is my 1st time on these Ultra's. I'm no newb to ski's but I a sure am to these. I've had 3 Blasters and 2 XP's. The latest being an 03.

1..I've had some issue out of one ski. The other thread went poo-poo over it so we will see what happens. I ran the dog snot out of today and she went fine. She has a waterleak though. I can't see it but I can feel it right around the carb neck under the box. I'm gonna assume it's that water hose leaking somehow. I'll tear into it here shortly. Other than that she hopped right up and took off. Nice to have her stretch her legs.

2.. The other ski had no issue whatsoever. Seems a bit stronger than the other one. Hard to tell as I was running some pre-mix in the other one to be safe for awhile. Squeezed her once and it hit 61gps on my phone. I wasn't trying to see what it could do, just wanted to wind her out quickly and make sure she was revving out cleanly.

3...My biggest eye opener, HOLY CRAP are these things loose in the butt...I was darting around the lake holding my phone at about 50mph and it feels fine. Get over that and you better have both hands on the bars. Let go of the gas and same thing. I can totally understand now how people get thrown from these ultra's so easy. Gonna need a ride plate stat. My XP was nothing like this. It wasn't as fast but was surely planted at speed.

4..Is it normal for it to cavitate when nailing it out of the hole? I tried playing with the trim and it didn't make much difference. Get moving a bit and they hooked. Mid-range is strong on these guys.

+1
    Ok, found the water leak. There is a hole in the bottom of the exhaust pipe. Right over the rear carb.

I haven't pulled the pipe yet but it's a stream of water squirting when running.

+1
    Here it is. The black stuff is something that dripped down the pipe.
    Sure looks like a corrosion hole but the ski is freshwater most of it's life.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Wow! What does the inside look like (have you split the stinger section from the pipe).

+1
    Well, that pipes toast. Not sure if it can be welded, but if it failed there, it will be in bad shape inside. Check E-bay or Skiworx site, find a good used one.

Get a set of Sponsons, that will fix the wild ride and/or a Shredmaster plate.

+1
    It's odd, all the cooling passages have very minimal corrosion/build-up and the inside of the pipe is just black. They are cheap, I'll just buy another used one.

+1
    Got the whole pipe off an 03 for $50 shipped. Looks new.

I'm looking at them and they all appear to be the same? Is this correct the 03 will work on my 00? Can I reuse my gasket? It came right off and looks solid. Or is this a problem area on them?

+1
    I've re-used that metal gasket. Don't tell anyone though....

Same pipe, will fit fine.

If you want it to handle, get some sponsons. We race on a slalom course, and before I put sponsons on this thing, it handled horribly.

Cavitation on the bottom isn't normal, but it's common. Most of the time its a poor eyeglass seal between the rideplate and the pump. If you get a new rideplate you can seal it then with silicon.

Sometimes it can be something in the pump, like a dinged up impeller. Mine had a dinged trailing edge and it cavitated pretty bad out of the hole. Then I had skiworx do the pump with a modded stock prop and that fixed it.

+1
    I really like the way my Ultra handles, but I've been riding it for a decade. The hull is stock except that I modified the trim cable bracket on the nozzle. Some people cut the cable, I made a new bracket that changes the cable position by 3/4" (the amount of cable travel). Now, 'Down' is the old 'Neutral', and 'Neutral' is 'UP'--way UP. It jumps and spins like crazy. The cardinal rule when riding the Ultra is Don't Let Go! It might get scary riding in chop, but if you hold on tight, it'll take you right through it.

Never heard of a pipe failing like that, perhaps it was a defective casting.

Mine doesn't cavitate, unless I'm doing donuts.

The pipe may not be an exact match. The '99s used smaller diameter bolts on top (the two 5" bolts). They apparently had trouble with them breaking and went to larger bolts, but I don't know what model year. I drilled out the holes in my pipe and bought the longer bolts, then drilled and tapped the holes to match the larger bolts. Much better! One other thing I did: when I put those long bolts in, I cleaned the threads good and put anti-seize on them, as well as the bolt shanks. I put LocTite and shakeproof lockwashers under the bolt heads. They haven't come loose, and they are easy to remove.

+1
    I read about the larger bolts holes...mine is a 00 so we'll see.

On the cavitation issue, the impeller looks great. I don't see a single knick much less a lot of wear but nonetheless, you nail it and it cavitates badly at idle speed or anything right near it. Feels a lot like a car that is geared to low. ease into it and then nailt and it's all grab. Does not cavitate at any other speed. Sharp low speed turns and full throttle are fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information