Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Moving from Yamaha to Seadoo. Is it a Good Idea?

(This was cross posted from the boat section, but this in regards to the engine which would be better answered in here.)

I am selling my 2007 Yamaha FX HO wave runner and am considering picking up a 215 speedster 150.

After searching the Seadoo forums for a bit, it seems that anything super charged is a maintenance queen that requires rebuilds and money.

I am looking at a few 2007 speedsters. The owners state they have never had an issue or required rebuilds. Nothing other than normal maintenance has been done. They did not know the answer to what washers are in the blower. This leads me to beleive they are still ceramic.

Many posts on here state these engines are time bombs. I have read that the later the year, the more reliable the engines became. Is this just a case of a known issue that has been over documented online?

Yamaha's are known very well for thier reliability, so I would rather move forward than backwards in that respect. I can do normal maintenance, but I do not want to spend thousands a year keeping it running.

Should I steer completely clear of these boats?

If this was posted in the Yamaha section, they would say "Run" from a Seadoo. Fact is, once the ceramic washers are changed to steel, these are very reliable motors. The superchargers do need to be rebuilt every 100 hours, but if you have the ability to remove them yourself, it is not an expensive proposition. I, personally have had good luck with my Seadoos.

+1
    I like seadoo more than Yamaha but they break more. I just think seadoo parts are cheaper and easier to fix.
    Small single engine Speedster rides like shit though. Every wave feels like the boat is gonna split in half

+1
    The 4-tecs are great and pulling the charger isn't that hard. Yes you do have to rebuild every 100 hrs, or that's what is recommended. 08 was the first year they got the junk ceramic washers out.

Which by the way that would be the first thing I'd do after making sure it hasn't eaten them already.

+1
    08 boats still have the ceramic washers (boats are a year behind on updates)... i had a 155hp 150 and had ZERO problems minus the cheap plastic pump (updated to aluminum in 08 ) mine had close to 200hrs of WOT and never missed a beat. ran 52mph on gps and had no problem pulling tube, skis, wakeboards ect ect. If you not looking for speed and want lower maintinance go with the 155hp...

i just bought mine under a month ago and have 16 hours on it, of those 16 hours 12 of them the maintenance required light has been on Take it how you want.... Does it still run fine yes does it fly and accelerate like crazy yes im pretty upset with the hole deal to be honest

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ahartsell View Post
    i just bought mine under a month ago and have 16 hours on it, of those 16 hours 12 of them the maintenance required light has been on Take it how you want.... Does it still run fine yes does it fly and accelerate like crazy yes im pretty upset with the hole deal to be honest
    what boat you have???

2010 rxt-x

Quote Originally Posted by ahartsell View Post
    in all fairness it seems like your dealer is clueless, so much of ur issue may be due to a dealer that has no idea whats going on.

As with most things, forums concentrate problems. People who are happy rarely post, those with issues post anywhere they can. Do i think the S/c is a weak point on the sea-doo...absolutely. Did it stop me from buying two? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Nj05nismo View Post
    in all fairness it seems like your dealer is clueless, so much of ur issue may be due to a dealer that has no idea whats going on.

As with most things, forums concentrate problems. People who are happy rarely post, those with issues post anywhere they can. Do i think the S/c is a weak point on the sea-doo...absolutely. Did it stop me from buying two? Nope.

i have to agree ... the dealer isnt helping things out at all. As far as not posting because im not happy ehh i dont know. Everything else with the ski is great except for the light

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information