Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bad day

bad day

Ok, so I am new to this jetski thing. I bought a 2004 800xlt with 76 hrs on it. The machine looks brand new. I put about 16 hrs on it this summer. All seemed great, I was hitting 55mph and towing my kid around without even a slight hesitation. I take it in to get winterized and the tech tells me my rear cylinder is shot. My compression is 60 in the rear and 140 in the front. But he tells me even though I am getting 140 in the front it builds slow, so it is going to.
    Now he tells me "good news is you don't need to winterize", but bad news is I need a new motor.
    Now can anyone give me a quick run down on what is needed and how much I should expect this to cost me. I just want to ride again in the spring.

Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear the bad news. I would want to see the damage and take pics before anything. Get some pics up on here, weird how it was running perfect and now....... If you had a cylinder go bad like that, you would know it.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyhookrider View Post
    Ok, so I am new to this jetski thing. I bought a 2004 800xlt with 76 hrs on it. The machine looks brand new. I put about 16 hrs on it this summer. All seemed great, I was hitting 55mph and towing my kid around without even a slight hesitation. I take it in to get winterized and the tech tells me my rear cylinder is shot. My compression is 60 in the rear and 140 in the front. But he tells me even though I am getting 140 in the front it builds slow, so it is going to.
    Now he tells me "good news is you don't need to winterize", but bad news is I need a new motor.
    Now can anyone give me a quick run down on what is needed and how much I should expect this to cost me. I just want to ride again in the spring.

Thanks
    With 60 psi. compression on the rear cylinder you will have speed and performance loss did you notice any of that before you went to winterize it.

no, I didn't notice anything. I have nothing to compare it to though. Maybe it was bad when I bought it. I figured it was getting to 55mph so it was all good.
    Worst case....what will I need to do. I am in Canada and my machine is from the US. Will I be able to get everything I need here? The tech was telling me that it would cost about $1500 per cylinder to fix. I am sure that is parts and labour.
    If it does need a rebuild do I need to still winterize it??

Thanks for all the help

+1
    Where in Canada? Phillip_gpr might be a good friend for you to make.

+1
    An important point here is that the shot piston is a symptom to a bigger problem. Ask the tech in their opinion what the problem is and what he intends to do to fix it. Else you may just trash another piston.

There are many great tuners on this forum that can help you DIY, but they have to have some feed back...... pictures are worth a thousand words. This will help with the break down on the components that you would need to repair/replace.

You should get it fixed for CONSIDERABLY less if you are willing to give it a try.

the tech told me that there is a 90deg turn in the fuel line to the rear cylinder with a screen or something and that it probably got clogged and didn't allow any fuel or oil into the cylinder.
    I would love to do this myself, with alot of help of course.
    I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I am picking up the machine later today and will talk to the tech again.

Thanks for all the advice now and in the future

does anyone have a repair manual they can email me? [email protected]
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sandyhookrider View Post
    does anyone have a repair manual they can email me? [email protected]
    Thanks
    $1500 per cylinder?!?! You could get any entirely new, better ski for that $3k!

First off that ski should only have 120 psi/cylinder doesnt matter if its front or rear cylinder. No XLT800 has 140psi compression, so hes WRONG there. Im sure there is variation in his compression guage. Secondly that cylinder new is not 1500 dollars!! Go to boats.net and you can see a list of the prices for the parts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information