Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

highest RPM a stock supercharger can handle?

what is the highest engine RPM a stock 215 and x-charger can handle? can rude chargers handle more? will a wheel upgrade allow for higher RPM's? i've got a project i'm working on that will spin at least 9k, possibly as high as 10k. also, will they continue to increase boost levels, or is there a point where they simply can't produce more boost? does anyone run that high of RPM's on these motors?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    what is the highest engine RPM a stock 215 and x-charger can handle? can rude chargers handle more? will a wheel upgrade allow for higher RPM's? i've got a project i'm working on that will spin at least 9k, possibly as high as 10k. also, will they continue to increase boost levels, or is there a point where they simply can't produce more boost? does anyone run that high of RPM's on these motors?
    Most people are building big power with lower RPMs, bigger boost (charger upgrades or replacements, or turbos), with these engines you dont really need to spin that high of RPMs to get good results. If your planning on running a stock type charger housing be sure it has atleast the 08 spec shaft assembly. I know the stock engine internals are pretty solid but I dont know exactly the breaking point, if your dead set on running those type RPMs you might invest in atleast a set of rods, pistons, and etc. You will absolutely need to upgrade the valve system to keep from floating. I'm sure you've figured most of this out but thought I'd add a few thoughts to the thread.

the project isn't for a sea-doo motor. i'm already spinning my motor up 9k rpm, and i've heard some guys are going up to 10k. some of the cams produce peak power over 8k rpm, which is why i need to know if they can handle 9k, at least.

+1
    what is the highest engine RPM a stock 215 and x-charger can handle?
    the project isn't for a sea-doo motor.
    Look at the database and see if that will help. I think most of the info you find here will be relating to the max capabilities of the 4-tec engines rather than the SC max capabilities. I don't remember reading about anyone testing SC's to see when they start breaking.

I also imagine you should be focussing your attention on the internals of the SC rather than just the SC wheel and housings. I bet the washers, bearings and shaft info is what you are really after.

+1
    the project isn't for a sea-doo motor. i'm already spinning my motor up 9k rpm, and i've heard some guys are going up to 10k. some of the cams produce peak power over 8k rpm, which is why i need to know if they can handle 9k, at least.
    Seeing that this isn't for the 4-tec engine know you can run the charger @ 36,000. These are factory at a 4/1 ratio, engine spinning at 9k will spin the charger at 36k. You should be able to play with those numbers by sizing the gear that spins the charger, hope that helps...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Seeing that this isn't for the 4-tec engine know you can run the charger @ 36,000. These are factory at a 4/1 ratio, engine spinning at 9k will spin the charger at 36k. You should be able to play with those numbers by sizing the gear that spins the charger, hope that helps...
    On our setups we usually dont start to see boost until around 6500.

it's going on a 4-tec engine, just not a sea-doo. i've seen a few threads were guys ran their sea-doo up to just over 9k, but it wasn't with stock chargers. the beauty of what i am working on is that it's for my ATV that uses a CVT transmission, so it gets up to 7500 RPM nearly instantly. if i use the stock ECU i'll be limited to 8100 rpm, but the cams i want make peak power at about 8600 rpm, hence why i want to know if the stock chargers can handle 9k. also, i'm going to use the sea-doo gear to drive it, so there won't be any gear differences to worry about, unless the drive gear for the charger is driven by a different sized gear, which i don't think it is. if it is, then i'll start cutting my own gears. using the stock gear will make the project easier to mock up and test.

jpeconsult, which database are you referring to? i am actually more concerned with how well balanced the wheels are, since i'll be using the best bearings i can source out for them. i would imagine trying to find better washers than has already been found might be difficult, as others would have probably already found them and tested them for sea-doo applications.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Most people are building big power with lower RPMs, bigger boost (charger upgrades or replacements, or turbos), with these engines you dont really need to spin that high of RPMs to get good results.
    I would prefer to spin it faster, with less boost, than to boost it more with less rpm. Just my .02

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    I would prefer to spin it faster, with less boost, than to boost it more with less rpm. Just my .02
    Depends on what you want to stress more, the charger or the engine, he is talking about 10,000 RPMs, I cant remember seeing one of these 4-tecs spinning that......

i know the 4-tecs i'm working with can handle 10k with 35 lbs of boost fed from a turbo. but i wanted to try a different route and use a supercharger instead of a turbo for heat and size constraints. these v-twin 4-tecs can handle some high rpm's, but require a lot of boost to get up over 300 crank hp:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information