Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Warning - 2010 RXTX Jet Pump Bolt Problems

This has been brought up by Zone 5 in this post: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ght=loss+speed
    but I think it's important enough to mention again. Facing the pump: the right two allen bolts that hold the pump to the rideplate are known to come loose, fall out and even snap in half. This just happened to me three rides after changing the impeller. The local dealer tech told me today he has seen it on three other skis at the 10-hour service. He said he's reporting it to Doo on each one and he had one bolt broken like Zone 5 and he had to replace the rideplate.

He mentioned that the bolts are threaded into the radiator (his words, meaning the rideplate that is the heat exchanger for the engine) with loctite and that maybe the heat from the rideplate is melting the loctite and then the bolts back out and eventually fall out.

If you notice your ski pulling to the right (you have to compensate by turning the bars to the left) suddenly, stop and check out your pump bolts immediately. Better yet, check them before every ride!

I just want to give a head's up to everyone so they can keep their skis on the water and out of the shop.

Banned User
    +1
    Thanks, I noticed mine was loost at about 30 hours...

The one on the RHS closest to the tail.

I was pretty angry at BRP... Thought it was a 1 off fail.

The skis are shipped with the two bottom bolts holding the shipping bracket that also attaches to the skid. When I bought my first RXP the dealer didn't use the supplied BRP screws with loctite on them. The pump blew off in about 6 miles of riding. They also make high temp loctite... Good luck.

+1
    I've retorqued my bolts with loctite 242 and haven't had a problem since. I do a torque check every couple of rides. My back left bolt came loose on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has happened on several machines in Sweden with long repair times due to the damage that will be on the machine. It has also been that some machines have gone under when they have been out and drove to the sea.

ROTAX RACING performance
    +1
    I have installed Helicoil in the Rideplate on the racing RXT. 260, you can use more torque compared to the SS bolts in Aluminum. No problems at all with loose bolts

Banned User
    +1
    Rechecked mine again after another 60-70 hours approx yesterday and all were tight.

Turbo Doo's from Down Under one1one's Avatar
    Sounds like all these cases of bolts being loose (or breaking from being loose) AFTER they have been removed by another party... Can't see how this is BRP's fault?

Loctite 243, tighten @ 22 lb/ft as per service manual.

Obviously if you are putting the component under a lot more load than OEM then a stainless recoil insert would be a good idea as Malte suggests.

Banned User
    +1
    Straight from factory mate, untouched by operator here or by the dealer,

After I touched it, it has never come loose.

You seem to have never had any problems with the S3's up your way... How many have you sold/serviced?

Just curious.... As every 2nd or 3rd S3/iS owner I meet personally (face to face) has had problems that are hot topics on here...

edit: sorry that sounded rude.....
    I'm just really surprised you haven't seen any of these problems like : the pump bolts, iS suspension failures, random bolts in the hull, WoW start up error, connector problems etc.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by one1one View Post
    Sounds like all these cases of bolts being loose (or breaking from being loose) AFTER they have been removed by another party... Can't see how this is BRP's fault?
    WRONG, Wrong Wrong! only person who ever touched mine, as I CLEARLY stated in my original thread on this is BRP. period. There have been MULTIPLE cases of people on this board with loose or missing bolts that they never touched. There is only ONE case where the person touched it.

Don't try and put the blame on the owners when its clearly an issue from BRP, not the other way around!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information