Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some 2000 Gp 1200r questions

I just purchased the 1200r with 60 hours on it, this is my first ski, so have a few questions. Been reading I may need waveaters and a d plate with chip is these a good idea, compression is 120# for every cylinder so I'm good there, took out last weekend for first time ran good and strong but did notice after I run for a while then cut off for 20 or 30 mins, its hard to restart,have to choke and give it throttle at the same time for it to crank and takes several times, what causes this any ideas, the only other problem I notice is a strong fuel smell when I take the seat off is this normal or do I have leaky lines or carbs, and last thing I'm debating on to go premix but dont really want to, thanks for any help, and great info. on forum.

Bump, anybody got any opinions, ready to start getting ski ready for next year, probably going to replace all fuel and oil lines also, dont know if I need to just take carbs off and clean or just rebuild. Not a race ski just want it to be a good reliable one to enjoy.thanks

+1
    Well, I have a 2001 I picked up in July. Let me run you through some projects you can search on here that will make your life WAY easier in the future. Not saying all or any of these are your problems but these will just add to a reliable ski in the future.

If I was you, this is what I'd do in no particular order because they're all good in their own ways.

1: D Plate & resistor - Inspect the cat, if it's loose, remove the water box and try to find any pieces.
    2: Wave Eaters (Some people say just the clips are all you need which fully makes sense but I put in the full deal)
    3: Rebuild the carbs. Have them rebuilt by someone (Oside Bill) who knows Super BN carbs. They're different than normal carbs.
    4: Primer Kit
    5: Fuel Flapper removal/ Clunk installation
    6: Pre Mix - I didn't want premix, now I love it. No keeping an eye on the tank and lines. I just keep a gatorade bottle in my front bin that is marked for 5 gallons and 2.5 gallons so when I'm out on the water I can fill up! Very easy.
    7: Then worry about intake grate and other goodies. Intake grate being the most important.

+1
    By the way, check out this guys page. Fantastic for our gen GPR's. Free service manual on there too!

http://www.cajundude.com/jetskihome.htm

Three more things and it's perfect...

1. Reinforce the pump tunnel (you can buy a kit in the performance store here)
    2. Replace your factory intake grate (the stock grate is dangerous, it can and will buck you... at top speed... ouch) I recommend the R&D 1200 grate.
    3. Get a pump plug kit (you can get that in the store here too)

With those three things, you ski will be safer, more reliable, and hey... a wee bit faster.

+1
    youd put a primer that high on the list?

Ok thanks for info. good stuff from Cajun dude, ok understand everything except whats a fuel flapper, and your saying I cant rebuild carbs myself, if not who's a good person, just worried about using premix might get to much oil at idle or so, what do you mix at 40 or 50:1.Seems like a step in wrong direction, but dont want to lock motor. Does d-plate require rejet.

Ok found carb. guy oside bill guess he's the carb. man.

No rejetting is required with a D-plate.

youd put a primer that high on the list?
    Talk to OsideBill, but I'd remove the choke plates and accelerator pump while rebuilding the carbs and install a Primer kit while doing this for easier starting. He can direct you regarding jetting as well if you choose to go with aftermarket flame arrestors or any other mods. GPR's are jetted pretty lean from the factory for emissions reasons so it's not a bad idea to jet up a little bit, and a must if you're adding anything that will increase flow through the motor (ex: FA's, free flow, reeds, etc)

Uscme, read your post good work but I sure dont want to have to go threw all that work, whats with the pump tunnel reinforcement guess stock is prone to breakage. I'll probably do those carb mods and look into Primer kit and flame arrestors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information