Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to turn 2 place trailer into a 3 place trailer

Well I have been trying to sell 2 1995 Polaris jet ski that have every thing done to them and run well and the longer it takes to sell the more I am thinking of keeping one of them.. Here is my problem how can I have turn my 2 place trailer into a 3 place or has anyone selling a 3 place trailer.. Cya Slick

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I think your load rating would prevent you from adding another place on a 2.

I've never seen a 3 place, so might need to buy a 4 place....

OR, buy/make a cart for the single. Then use the lift you have to switch skis when you feel like it on the tandem.

Kind of a PITA, but effective.

Some trailers have enough toungue length to put a short ski sideways in front of the two normal places. I just bought a long trailer like this....has a big toolbox there now. I'm tempted to fab some bunk mounts and put the hurricane up there though.....not fully convinced the frame and/or axle will handle the extra weight though.

+1
    Axle position really needs to be centered under the weight. Too much weight in front of the axle can cause the trailer to act funny at speed. Possibly making you lose control.

Here is a one I found but will do some looking into this winter, 45deg this morning dam sure dont feel like jet sking weather LOL.. Cya Slick

+1
    I stand corrected....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    Some trailers have enough toungue length to put a short ski sideways in front of the two normal places. I just bought a long trailer like this... I'm tempted to fab some bunk mounts and put the Hurricane up there ...not fully convinced the frame and/or axle will handle the extra weight...
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick PWC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Axle position really needs to be centered under the weight...
    Tongue weight and frame stress must be fully considered. The tongue weight must be reasonable with AND without the third PWC in place.

Usual numbers are 7-10% of total trailer weight should be on the tow ball (tongue weight). If it tows well, tongue weights can be even higher.

'Towing well' includes behaving itself during emergency braking and emergency sudden lane changes. You don't want to make a snap lane change and suddenly discover that the trailer is now doing the steering for you!

One way to manage tongue weight would be to shift the bow winch towers forward when only carrying two PWC, and shift them backwards (to compensate for the forward weight of the third PWC) when carrying three PWC. Mark the positions on the trailer, and you can adjust as needed to maintain correct tongue weight.

Obviously the tongue will have more stress with the third PWC in place. There is not only the static load of the PWC weight, but also the dynamic frame load as the trailer and tow vehicle bounce and wiggle going down the road. The frame must be able to handle this flexing stress.

From the Direct Boats link;
    "...Front slide should not exceed 102". The front PWC holder is used for stand-up Jet ski placement...."

In most places the maximum legal width of a trailer/load is 102 inches (8.5 feet). If your PWC is longer than that from nose to tail, then it will be wider than the rules allow when loaded onto the third sideways bunk.

The spec'ed length of the Hurricane is 104.8 inches, and I don't know if that includes the jet pump. Hurricane dry weight (no fuel or oil) is 480 pounds. To compensate for that much weight that far forward of the trailer axle, the other two PWC would have to shift rearwards quite a bit.

Also think about how far down into the water the tow vehicle will need to go to allow the forward PWC to be unloaded or loaded.

Somewhere I have seen a 3 place trailer with the third PWC forward of the rear pair, positioned along the trailer center-line. The inner rear bunks did double duty, being used to slide the front PWC forward from the water, then flipped over to support the rear PWC loading. Roller bunks would work well for this.

A double axle trailer would have an advantage here, as the weight distribution across the two axles doesn't have to be even. Effectively the front axle can take on more of the extra weight of the third PWC, and the rear axle can handle some extra when the third PWC is not present. Tongue weights still need to be managed, but should require less shifting of the rear PWC pair to make it work.

The other option is to get a ~20' trailer for a boat and put two skis on the rear and one in the center "V". This one that's for sale on CL most likely started as a boat trailer:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3n43m93oc5Z25X65S4a8r412fe535ea4a1598.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	215453

Name:	3n93pe3l05Y45Z05U4a8r81c6f2a33fa318c9.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	215454

I've been keeping my eyes open for a deal on a pontoon trailer so I can make something like this:

Name:	3m53p43o95V45Z25W1a8g17856e11a8f3128e.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	215455

Thanks K447 I was reading about what you had posted on the internet as well, I did run into this idea like the other poster posted about the 20' boat trailer conversion.. I am going to have to give this some thought on how I want to approach this situation, thanks for the imput guys.. Cya Slick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information