Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

dropped a cylinder

well went out riding the other day and my motor didn't seem to have the rpm's like it should. It died out on me once in the lake and I limped it back to the dock and put it on the trailer. (10 min. of riding ) Got it all tore down today and this is what it looks like :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100925_164250.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	215309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100925_180517.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	215310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100925_164234.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	215311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100925_180426.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	215312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100925_164310.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	215313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100925_180414.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	215314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100925_164255.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	215315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100925_180528.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	215316
    This ski is supposed to have 42 hrs. on it according to the dash but I think it might have more. The rod on the piston that messed up says HOT ROD down the side of it so I guess it has had the crank replaced with a hot rods crank. I am really not sure what caused this to happen. I had problems with ride plate inserts leaking a couple times at the lake (R&D junk) and i tried to get all the water out of the hull with the shop vac. What I think happened was water was sucked up through the #1 throttle body and took out the piston I don't have any duct piping ran to the air box. What do you think?

I'm really sorry to hear about your problem with your GPR. As you noticed when you replied to my post I also have the same/similar problem. The more I research these GPR's the more it seems these GPR waverunners of Yamaha's are very troublesome machines. I have a 1994 Yamaha VXR 650 and it's been 100% rock solid all summer long. I've ran 226 gallons of gas through it and it's just been rock solid and perfectly reliable. Hell, the compression is measuring like brand new at 150PSI per cylinder even! My ancient 1983 Yamaha 250cc Enticer was rock solid when I sold it in 2005! And that only had new front skis and two new tracks put on it throughout it's life! What happened to Yamaha's reliability with these GPR waverunners? lol.

As soon as my father gets my GPR apart I'll post some pics to compare to yours.

I had an old waverunner 3 with a 650 and it took a shit on me the second time I took it out. The only one I've ever had that was dead-nuts reliable was a Kawasaki 650 stand-up. My buddy sank that one and we had it running again the same night. I should have never gotten rid of that one.

If you're stock and you removed the piping to the air box it could have caused you to go lean. But water ingestion is also a possibility. I would think that water ingestion would look a little different, though - clean piston, bent rod. I'm thinking it siezed up, maybe lean, maybe lost an oil line.

Waverunners = constant fucking.

It looks to me that you were lean on 2 cylinders. Sounds like this ski has been some trouble for awile if it says 42 hrs and has a hot rod crank in it already. Mine lost one cylinder but someone rode it till the piston was almost gone.

+1
    It was down before then if it has a Hotrods crank. I bet motor was not pressure tested and had an air leak. Did it idle high/irratic on the trailer? Did it act like it had a lean spot off idle?

didn't idle bad at all, infact i had the ski out 3 or 4 times before i had the issue with the ride plate inserts and it ran fine. I checked plugs regularly and they were always light brown looking to around the color of chocolate milk. When i had the issue with the ride plate inserts there was alot of water that got inside my hull, that was the reason i thought it was water injected issue.

when it came up off idle it was a turd out the hole but this is my first ski and i really don't have anything to compare it to, and it has the 03 pump in it and we all know how those are so. It has the WSM platinum pistons in it with the hot rods crank. I plan to pull the motor on out, prob. split the cases and seal everything up to make sure I don't have any leaks. Honestly I wish i had never bought this thing it is total aggrivation, nothing like a 2 stroke atv or dirtbike.

would you all get rid of the oil injection while i am in there and go with premix???

what other issues would you take care of? ( non safety those are a given that they will be taken care of)

I may as well make it run as best a possible now since it is all going to down for awhile
    3* key, milled head, i was just gonna re-ring #'s 2 and 3 and then get a new piston for #1 ( after the cylinder gets taken care of), efi controller, I have on hand right now r&d plate, 1200 r&D intake grate, 1200 water box, 13/19 prop ( Prob. have to change that once doing the head and key) going to seal up pump shoe and hopefully ride this thing for awhile.

Anything else you all think I should do let me know, all suggestions appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fatrat View Post
    Honestly I wish i had never bought this thing it is total aggrivation, nothing like a 2 stroke atv or dirtbike.
    You're not alone here, your story is basically an exact mirror image of what I'm going through right now with this piece of crap GPR. Notice in these forums the majority of problems are with the GPR models? Don't totally give up on personal watercraft though because in my opinion they're much more fun than dirtbikes and ATV's (much more legal riding area too, at least where I live). I had a total blast on my first PWC (my 94 VXR I mentioned above) and rode it every single day it wasn't raining or I got home from work in time.

Like I said, I've went through 226 gallons of gas, and that's since July 9th this year. So that's roughly 90.4 hours I've put on it - AND - it's been 100% rock solid, compression even measures like brand new still! Fires right up without even using the choke and everything! It has sat in the river since July (moored to a buoy right now as I type this) and doesn't even take on a drop of water or anything! My brand new dirtbike? I rode it twice this year for about 15 minutes each - not even one full tank of gas all year! Waverunners are fun as hell, when you're not going through hell with one! You wanna talk about aggravation? How about spending only $800 for a summer of full of non stop fun then dropping nearly 5 grand into one that runs for 20 minutes or so? Now that's aggravation!

Quote Originally Posted by fatrat View Post
    Anything else you all think I should do let me know, all suggestions appreciated.
    Get it running, sell it, and buy a brand new ski with a warranty! That's my plan... I could hang myself for not going brand new to begin with.... I just simply have no trust in this thing at this point. The only way I would keep it is after it's back up and running, God himself would have to bounce down from the heavens and sign an affidavit right in front of me that it was 100% guaranteed not to blow again!

BTW, mine wasn't idling erratic either. It actually sounded and ran good then out of nowhere it just bogs and dies then wont start (my strong assumption is that it keeps heat seizing).

Quote Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
    You're not alone here, your story is basically an exact mirror image of what I'm going through right now with this piece of crap GPR. Notice in these forums the majority of problems are with the GPR models? Don't totally give up on personal watercraft though because in my opinion they're much more fun than dirtbikes and ATV's (much more legal riding area too, at least where I live). I had a total blast on my first PWC (my 94 VXR I mentioned above) and rode it every single day it wasn't raining or I got home from work in time.

Like I said, I've went through 226 gallons of gas, and that's since July 9th this year. So that's roughly 90.4 hours I've put on it - AND - it's been 100% rock solid, compression even measures like brand new still! Fires right up without even using the choke and everything! It has sat in the river since July (moored to a buoy right now as I type this) and doesn't even take on a drop of water or anything! My brand new dirtbike? I rode it twice this year for about 15 minutes each - not even one full tank of gas all year! Waverunners are fun as hell, when you're not going through hell with one! You wanna talk about aggravation? How about spending only $800 for a summer of full of non stop fun then dropping nearly 5 grand into one that runs for 20 minutes or so? Now that's aggravation!

Get it running, sell it, and buy a brand new ski with a warranty! That's my plan... I could hang myself for not going brand new to begin with.... I just simply have no trust in this thing at this point. The only way I would keep it is after it's back up and running, God himself would have to bounce down from the heavens and sign an affidavit right in front of me that it was 100% guaranteed not to blow again!

BTW, mine wasn't idling erratic either. It actually sounded and ran good then out of nowhere it just bogs and dies then wont start (my strong assumption is that it keeps heat seizing).
    I guess there is just no convincing you that YOU bought a POS to start with and are determined to bash the GPR platform... but keep blaming the ski. you got lucky with that small toy of a ski that you put 226 gallons thru, whens the last time that prop has been looked at or the lube replaced, doesn`t matter... the GPR is a great ski, obviously yours has not been taken care of properly and you werent educated enough in buying used...

food for thought> how about rebuilding a 4Tec after the SC clutch let go, talk about spending money and aggravation, we`ve all been there, shit happens, fix it and move on...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I guess there is just no convincing you that YOU bought a POS to start with and are determined to bash the GPR platform... but keep blaming the ski. you got lucky with that small toy of a ski that you put 226 gallons thru, whens the last time that prop has been looked at or the lube replaced, doesn`t matter... the GPR is a great ski, obviously yours has not been taken care of properly and you werent educated enough in buying used...

food for thought> how about rebuilding a 4Tec after the SC clutch let go, talk about spending money and aggravation, we`ve all been there, shit happens, fix it and move on...
    I have to agree that the GPR is a troublesome platform. I'm on my 3rd motor in the 3 seasons I've owned the thing. And this one just had a power valve break off for no apparent reason.

Just way too much shit to go wrong. Next one I buy is going to be brand new with a warranty and it's going to stay stock. Or it's going to be a sub-$1000 old 650 Kawi, that I can just throw away if it breaks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post

Have you seen all the threads floating around regarding piston /cylinder failures? Ive been through it twice on my XLT1200 (same 66V engine), a friend has had it 3 times in 2 seasons (GP12R), and the countless others that have had it across these forums... Yes im convinced something is wrong in the design with these skis, from popping off oil lines, lean jetting from the factory, PVs falling in the cylinders.......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information