Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1

2003 GTX SC motor problems after rebuild...

So I rebuilt my my motor and attempted to set my timing using drill bits. Close but not perfect. And I didn't realize that my #1 intake rocker arm roller was broke(eBay head -I didn't inspect as well as I should have...). So I went over to another GH members house (InSanDiegoJoe) and borrowed his timing tools. (I made some of my own on my lathe at work, and will send the extra ones I made to any GH member who needs one. Just pay the shipping) I also got a new rocker arm (from a 2002?) from another GH member. I was putting everything together this morning and when I went to start, ski made a pop sound and then did not start. After about one min i knew something was not right since it should have started. I took off the valve cover and discovered that the #1 cyl intake valve were not coming all the up. Took off the intake manifold and looked in the intake. Bent valves. I then removed the head, put in and lapped in valves from my old head. Put motor back together, reset the timing using the timing tools. Went to start.... Same thing. Now I have bent intake valves and no replacements. But why is this happening?

+1
    your timing is way off. you have to make sure your #3 is at tdc. must remove the rocker arms when putting the locking tools in. call me

+1
    I'm an idiot then.... I've been putting #1 TDC. Wow, what a blunder. My first go at it, I used to have #3 TDC when I was doing the drill bit method. And for some reason when I when to put in the timing tools, my brain said #1 TDC. I was thinking wow, I really had it off before. Now....

Looking for intake valves and a head gasket. Time to post a WTB... Never ending. What'd you say about my luck Joe?

+1
    When I say #3 tdc that is the cylinder closest to the front of the ski. #1 is the pto cylinder.

Dont beat yourself up to much bro. Shit happens learn from it and move on. This doesnt change your life in the least. Its irritating yes but fixable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego Joe View Post
    When I say #3 tdc that is the cylinder closest to the front of the ski. #1 is the pto cylinder.

Dont beat yourself up to much bro. Shit happens learn from it and move on. This doesnt change your life in the least. Its irritating yes but fixable.
    Yes. Learning and them moving on. Now if I can get my mind to shut off at night so that I can sleep again...

Thread Information