Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sl750 bogs

Sl750 bogs

I have a 1994 sl750, the problem i am having is at low speed when i hit the throttle it will bog to the point that it will die if i don't start feather the throttle, once i feather the throttle it will take off and run great all the way to top speed and runs fine at top speed. the low and high speed screws are at factory specs, i played with the low speed screws but didn't change anything. Thanks, Russell

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Have you done all the necessary fuel system upgrades for this ski? If not, I would stop running it until they have been done.

I just bought the ski, not sure of all the upgrades that need to be done but it does have the 3 output fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Rca1965 View Post
    I just bought the ski, not sure of all the upgrades that need to be done but it does have the 3 output fuel pump.
    Well the triple output fuel pump is a good sign. It means that someone knew enough to change it. Check that all the fuel lines have been changed from the grey Tempo brand fuel lines to something else. Don't forget the little pieces between carbs as well as the lines inside the fuel tank. Once you are sure all the fuel lines are good, you may need to rebuild the carbs. If any of the goo that forms in the old fuel lines made it into the carbs it could clog the passages or the tiny filters inside. You will also want to do a search here and read up on piston wash...its the most reliable way to ensure you are not running too lean.

not sure about the lines in the tank but the lines from the tank all the way to the carbs has been changed to black fuel hose. i did find that the reeds were bad, 2 were actually missing parts of the pedals so i replace all the reeds. it doesn't seem to be a fuel delivery prob since it runs fine at top speed, 1 thing i did notice is the filter inside the water seperator is missing.

...it doesn't seem to be a fuel delivery prob since it runs fine at top speed, 1 thing i did notice is the filter inside the water seperator is missing.
    As long as your piston wash is okay and all the fuel lines have been changed you could try adjusting the low screws. When you hit the throttle from an idle, does it fall flat (like you knock the wind out of it), or does it blubber (like it is drowning)? Have you tried giving it a little choke when you accelerate? If the choke helps you need to richen up the lows (turn them out), if it falls flat it is lean and you need to richen the lows, if it blubbers it is rich and you need to lean it up (turn them in). The '94's didn't have a filter in the water separator, just an empty cup.

It falls flat, didn't try the choke, when i was messing with the lows i gradually went all the way out to 2 turns and it changed nothing, i have 2 94's and the other has a filter but this one does not.

+1
    Rebuild the carbs with new screen,diaphrams,gaskets,,check the jets for clogging both the mains and the pilots, write down what you have to check against stock jets, check the needles high n low for being bent, broken off, chipped or worn looking, replace the o-rings they sit in too. then the gas filter. I think there 2 actually.. replace those.. check to see if you have pick up lines in your tank or a silver sending unit.. the lines rot and the metal weighted screens fall off..

does you triple pump hae 5 fittings on it? just checking....... where is it located? any pics? it should be above the pulse line in the hull. you should be running BPR8ES NGK plugs gapped to .028". cut back your wires a quarter inch on the plug wires too. Is that pump used or new?

just trying to get some info to help out..

Is the restrictor in your return line? are the carbs routed as per beerdarts diagram? If not, get that done like its shown. we'll help ya if need be.

if the lines arent routed correctly even though the triple is in there, it wont help. Is the auto -cock removed and thrown away? it looks like a small fuel pump.

It falls flat, didn't try the choke, when i was messing with the lows i gradually went all the way out to 2 turns and it changed nothing, i have 2 94's and the other has a filter but this one does not.
    It sounds like you may need to clean out those carbs. Possibly a partial blockage in the low passages. Turning them out that far should have some effect for sure. I have 2 '94 SL's and neither one had a screen in the water separator. I would recommend, however, to use only genuine Mikuni rebuild kits for the carbs. They cost a little more, but have proven to be better in the long run.

The pump has 5 lines, 1 pulse, 1 input, 3 output. the guy i got it from says the pump was recently put on it, and is new. the pump is above the pulse line. when i got it the plug boots were in bad shape and were already removed so i got some replacement crimp on ones from the auto parts store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information