Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New to Polaris and having engine troubles sl1050

I just got my first Polaris pwc the other day on a trade, it is a 97 sl 1050. I just recently bought 2 seadoo's and totally rebuilt them, actually took them out yesterday for the first time and they ran great. Well im fixing to leave for 2 weeks for work and want to see if I can get the problem diagnosed with the Polaris. First of all it starts right up but will hardly rev up anymore than an idle. It sounds like it is missing. I pulled the plugs and they are wet and i checked all the plugs for spark and spark is good. The guy I got it from replaced the stator on it but i did not get the part number off him. I was looking today at the cdi box and it shows it is still the orignal box that came with the ski (part# 4060170). I emailed the guy about the part number for the stator and he has not gotten back with me. I guess my question is if he put an updated stator in does it have to the updated cdi? Also is there anything else i should check to see why the ski wont rev up and sound like its missing? thanks

The ignition kit is sold as a set( stator & cdi) I would be willing to bet it needs the update, as the symtoms are similar to my 99 slx 1050 before I installed the update, it runs awesome now.

well i got a reply from the guy i bought the ski from and he said the orignal stator part number matched the new stator he installed. Do some places still offer the old stator? or is it possible the part number was crossed when he bought it?

Yes, it is possible that he picked up a NOS old stator. I bought a '97 SL1050 last year and it had a brand new stator and CDI in it but they were the old style parts. Dealer probably screwed the previous owner over by installing old stock parts he had laying around.

I am going to try to call the guy i got the ski from tomorrow. Do you think anything else could be making the ski run like this??

Have you checked the compression etc? What color where the insulators on the plugs when you pulled them? Sounds like too much fuel and not enough spark to me or, you just have low compression and bad combustion.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

You are going to have to do some diagnosing. Start by measuring the ohms of the stator. Details can be found in my signature links for the red domestic engine. Update stators have very different coil ohms from the original stators.

Check the voltage on the Red/Purple wire that feeds into the CDI itself. Voltage must be well over 10.6 volts.

I talked to the guy i bought the ski from and he said the the new stator was NOS. I ran a compression test and 2 cylinders were at 120psi and one about 110psi. I went to try to test the red purple wire but both of my multi-meters don't seem to be working. I am fixing to head back to work for 2 weeks so ill have to resurrect this thread when i get back. I wanted to try to figure what was wrong before i left so i could order the parts while i was gone but oh well. I should of worked on it yesterday but the temptation was to great to take out my other ski's before i left. I did this morning notice the battery didnt make it through my compression test had to charge after the 2nd cylinder i tried. then i charged it and it hardly made it through the last cylinder before dying again. I will pick up a new one when i get home and start diagnosing again. also i wanted to ask if mounting of the coils like in the pictures is a common practice or if it is even the stock ones.I appreciate the welcome to Hulk and thank everybody for the responses.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00032-20100927-1131.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	215581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00033-20100927-1131.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	215582

LOL wtf is that???? Can you post a pic of the ebox? Those look like coils out of an old small block chevy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebox.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	215585It should look like this

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information