Drive shaft or impeller noise?

Hi All. Yesterday out on my 1200 XLT after about 5 minutes i heard a loud high pitched noise which seems to be coming from the drive shaft or impeller. Other then that the motor seems to run fine. I notice when i first start it up it makes the noise and then goes away. Revs will make the noise. It sounds like something is rubbing.

Is there a bushing or something that may wear out causing the impeller to slip and make this noise? has anyone ever heard of this? I don't think its the crank

The first thing I would check is the wear ring, the stainless steel liner can separate from the housing and contact the impeller. This could cause the noise.

Thank you for the reply. where exactly is the wear ring? I have the service manual if you happen to also and can refer me to the page. Thanks!!

found it. everything looks secure. probably going to have to take the whole assembly apart and check it out.

Does the ski go in the water? If not, your impeller and/or coupler shaft is probably stripped where they join together just like mine was...

Hi, thanks for the info. You know i don't even know if it goes on the water because as i was moving it started to make the noise and i shut it down. I do see the impeller spinning when I look at it. did you hear this weird news like something was rubbing but only starting and when giving gas? What did you have to do? Just put a new impeller with coupling? How does that happen? I guess things just where out.

well here are some pics. I believe i have a bearing issue for one thing as about 6 inches from the end of the shaft I have a groove as if its been cutting into it. I'm not so sure about the splines on the end of the shaft though. they do look a bit worn but not sure if that to is an issue. could be looking at replacing both shafts and bearings. Pics aren't the best as i had to use my phone. The wear ring doesn't look like its an issue but I don't have a new one to compare it to. Have to do some research. Thoughts????Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC-0034.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	217026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC-0036.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	217027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC-0037.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	217028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC-0035.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	217029

Yup, mine pretty much looked exactly like that (at least the grooved spline at the end). Now check the other shaft (coupler shaft) that slides over it because its splines will probably be even worse. Both OEM shafts brand new was just over $400.

did you do the work yourself? can i just remove the back half of the exhaust to get at the coupler inside the engine compartment?

Thread Information