Thread: Hey Jerry...

Hey Jerry...

Jerry,

I have the Riva S3 SC wheel/housing, RR 42lbs. injectors, and Riva aluminum IC pipe/BOV kit on its way for my RXT. (I would have bought the items from you but I got a hell of a deal)

When speaking to Riva, they said that running without the new BOV with the new S3 SC wheel will cause problems such as distortion or breakage of the SC wheel and or premature slipping/failure of metal/ceramic SC washers.

Riva said that the aluminum BOV from the S3 is the same that Team Kawi run.

Have you had or heard of anyone running say a "B-Kit" SC without BOV (such as yourself) have any issues or failures directly related to running without BOV?

I know you stated that people have had issues with the BOV leaking but I assume that was on the cheap plastic BOV from the S2 kit. What about the new aluminum BOV that Riva sells in there S3 kit?

Am I just wasting $$$ on the S3 BOV for piece of mind?

good luck i had the same set up without the BOV and it surged so bad from 3000-5000 rpm it was shaking my whole boat and when i returned it i was told that i shook du to the fact that i was missing the BOV whitch is BULL the BOV isen't supose to relive any pressure until reaching maximum boost unless thay make it leak , the leaking would help with the surging but i guess if u leak boost u leak HP ! i hade a 15/20 solas in i was running 8500rpm with b-kit +50lb +controler i pulled the b-kit and bolted on the stage 3 SC and the 42lb inj and i dropped down to 8090 rpm , so my opinion is get a RR impeler with the 42lb inj and u will run smooooth but this is just my opinion i'm no expert

by the way this is my first post and i love the little icons nice job with the site Jerry !!
    Last edited by beached log; 10-26-2006 at 07:02 AM.

+1
    Impeller design plays a huge role in whether or not your supercharger has compressor surge. The Riva stage 3 SC has a very tall blade design. Taller blades move a large volume of air. I have tested the stage 3 sc and can tell it has a pronounced compressor surge in the 4000 RPM range. This is because its trying to move more air than the engine can digest. Hence the reason for the BOV. At partial throttle while cruising it will release any extra air. To me the surge wasn't that bad and i ran it without a BOV with no issues. Same with the B kit. It too moves an enormous amount of air, but i still don't run a BOV, neither does anyone i know running a B kit and we have had no issues.

The BOV on the Riva stage 3 is a Vortech BOV. Very high quality piece so i doubt you will have to worry about a boost leak. It was with the old stage 2 type Bosch BOV's that we saw leak boost at high RPM's.

Thanks for the info Jerry.

Thread Information