Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Need To Do A Jet Pump Rebuild

I was getting ready to replace my bearing housing when I pulled the jet pump and realized that my impeller was rubbing at one spot on the stator walls.

I've been searching sites and studying the service manual. What specific tools do I need to remove/press out the bearings and remove the water seals?

Specific Questions:

1. I don't have a press. Any recommendations?
    2. What can I use to get around using the 5 water seal remove/insertion tools offered by Honda?
    3. Any other tools I should use?
    4. Anyone like the sbt rebuild kit? (http://www.shopsbt.com/jet-skis/hond...build-kit.html)
    5. If an option - does anyone offer rebuild services? I plan on calling sbt just to see if they might offer this.
    6. Opinions on used jet pumps?
    7. I bought a used aquatrax and I pulled the jet pump last night. It has a ss impeller on it. I can't see a name on it (hence making it interesting to see if I need a solas removal tool or not). Any ideas on what I should try/buy first to remove this?

This is my first attempt on rebuilding this so please excuse any dumb questions.

Thx.

+1
    The solas tool will remove the impeller. You will need a good vise that is mounted securely. You may not need a press, many times they come apart easily. Eric uses some of the SBT stuff, but I stick with OEM Honda parts.

How often does the pump last or need to be rebuilt ?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    get a press..you can get a cheapo from harbor freight tools..but move slowly if you haven't use a press before...lube everything really really good. Pays to have two sets of seals when you do it for the first time, if you are lucky, you can return the second set. You "might" be able to get buy with a great vise..but depending on the pump layout, you would likely need a press to do it.

all things considered you might might to find a shop that will do the work for you, unless you are in no big hurry.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKJETT View Post
    If it is not making any noise except spline rattle, I have seen them go 200 hours. The second time you repack the bearings with a really good marine grease, they can go indefinitely. It really depends on what grease you use and how careful you are.....

JR, Thanks for the info have 225 hrs now, will add it to the winter list. CelticCrew keep us posted on your rebuild.

+1
    JR, Thanks for the info have 225 hrs now, will add it to the winter list. CelticCrew keep us posted on your rebuild.

Will do. I suspect I will do it sometime over the Fall/Winter. I actually have to do two of them.

+1
    I have never messed with my pump at all. I have about 260 hours on mine without any problems. I just figured as long as water did not get inside the pump I was fine. I hope to upgrade to Macs stage II kit this spring and I will do it then.

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    If it is not making any noise except spline rattle, I have seen them go 200 hours. The second time you repack the bearings with a really good marine grease, they can go indefinitely. It really depends on what grease you use and how careful you are.....
    What kind of grease do you sugest?

+1
    Like I have said I never have changed the grease in my pump but if I ever do I will certainly use Green Grease. It is GREAT stuff. I use it to grease the drive shaft bearing housing. I also use it on everything I own with a grease fitting.

http://www.greengrease.net/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information