GP 1200 R - Never ending beep.

Hi!

I have been googling the last few days trying to find a solution to my problem. Via google did I find this site and it seems that you folks know more about jetskis than the other sites, so I decided to join up and perhaps you can help.

I have a 2002 GP1200R Waverunner with around 120 hours on the clock. We jetski every friday afternoon for about 3-4 hours. About 3 weeks ago, we were at the beach and having some fun when out of nowhere, the bike started to emit a loud, ear piercing, never ending beep.

At first I thought the bike was overheating as this must be the most extreme alarm that the bike can emit when something goes wrong. And in my books, overheating is the worst that can happen to the engine.

This beeping continued even while the engine was off. I had to disconnect the battery for it to stop. I removed the seat and the engine was not hot at all. No steam comes off it when I drop water drops on it. Same for the exhaust system.

I messed around a bit and found that my instrument display panel was not working at all, and therefor the reset button wouldn't work. I am not sure that this would cause the sudden cause for alarm, but it might be.

A week or so ago, I opened up the seat and started to check around now that the engine is dry and all cables (if they were exposed to water) are also dry. The moment I connect the battery, the beeping noise start immediately.

I have googled my ass off and read manuals but I couldn't find anything related to my problem. Some say its temperature, some say it's oil (I bypassed the oil tank and use premix. I have used this for over a year) etc. I have given it to the repair center but I don't want them to screw me over, simply because I don't know enough about jetski engines.

I have sufficient knowledge about engines (for cars).

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

The speaker is at the base of your steering column. Trace the wire and unplug it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
    The speaker is at the base of your steering column. Trace the wire and unplug it.
    I can do that, but how will I know if something is wrong with the bike?

+1
    Unplug the wire from the gauge. See if you have any corrosion. See if you can get the gauge cluster back up and working. If you can get it working. hold the reset button after you turn the ski on and off and it will give you a code or number. see what the number is and post back. Lee

Ok, the bike is at the service center. It's not official, just some guy who fixes it in his spare time. Ill go over there tomorrow and have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanBotha View Post
    I can do that, but how will I know if something is wrong with the bike?
    I was assuming that you had looked it over already and checked for codes. If you dont see anything that is obviously wrong and it runs ok, yank that sucker out.

Hi guys,

Just a quick reply to say we have fixed the bike. Turns out it was a short that caused the bike's alarm system to go off.

Bike is fixed and rides like a dream again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by StephanBotha View Post
    Hi guys,

Just a quick reply to say we have fixed the bike. Turns out it was a short that caused the bike's alarm system to go off.

Bike is fixed and rides like a dream again
    Good news
    will you be sticking around and catching the modding bug....

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    Good news
    will you be sticking around and catching the modding bug....
    LoL...wouldn't be surprised if he did

Thread Information