Thread: poping fuses

+1

poping fuses

went out for a ride friday and rode around the ocean jumping waves for a few hours. I noticed I was low on fuel so I came around into the bay for gas. I stop at the gas station which was closed, so I jump back on the ski and nothing happens when I plug the lanyard in. no chirps, no lights, nothing. its like the battery was unhooked. pulled the ski outta the water. Next morning I check the fuses and the 15amp fuse in the black box was blown. I put a new one in, ski fires up and runs fine on the hose. put it back in the water and go back out jumping waves again. start cruising back home about half throttle and ski start runnning like crap, seems like its miss firing. ski dies about 30 seconds later. stop and check, the fuse is blown again. put another fuse in it and blows right back out again. checked and cleaned all connection still does the same thing. anyone every run into this?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you have a short some where. unplug your gauges and trim and see if it happens again. Its either that or your ground wire is crap and needs replaced. check all connections EVERYWHERE. you may also want to look at the plug at the front of the MAG housing. if its loose you may have to open up the cover and inspect for arcing

+1
    I unpluged the vts, and that didnt make a difference, the mag plug is good, I checked it. I'll try the gauges but I'm outta fuses for now.

Find an automatic circuit breaker of the same rating. You will hear it click when it shorts out and it will cool off and try to reset itself. Allows you to keep checking things with out replacing fuses all the time.

I have a 99xpl and mine did the same thing it ended up being a broken tooth on my gear between the starter and flywheel, whatever they call that gear it kicks out to the flywheel from the starter and turns the motor over well what happened to me was the chipped tooth every now and then would shimmy between the stator pick-up and flywheel and cause an instant short. I hope this helps you. I would definetly check this cause my ski always started fine! Had me stumped the whole summer...

+1
    thats kinda what I was thinking happened. I'm gonna pull it apart today or tomorrow so we'll see what happened then. thanks for the input though.

+1
    well found out what was wrong. took the stator apart today and it looks like all the bolts backed outta the fly wheel and the housing peice came loose and was hitting the stator and grounding out. sucks wish i would've just stopped riding it now. 3 of the bolts snapped the heads off and go ran threw the stator so everthing this is screwed.

Thread Information