Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Engine and oil Temps

Got my Infrared gun out this Sat and checked my ski along with a stock SHO after a 1 hour "Hard" ride in 90 degree water.

My FZR 83GPS (Riva Stage 3 R2 minus Vipec)
    S/C - 160F
    Exhaust Manifold - 110F
    Oil on Dip-Stick End - 115F

Stock SHO 66GPS (Completely Stock)
    S/C - 178F
    Exhaust Manifold - 115F
    Oil on Dip Stick End - 110 F

I was really curious about the Oil Temp as I have some GIO, I was surprised to see the E1 charger cooler than stock.

What is the correct Oil Temp? My 275HP Mercury Verados run at 215F. Is there a port before the Oil Cooler where we can install a sensor?

Banned User
    +1
    Shoot the oil filter

+1
    That oil temp is too cold for any engine. It will develop lots of moisture, and won't burn up any blow-by like that. That is just asking for trouble.

+1
    The exh. manifold is waterjacketed, & since you're probably running a high flow strainer & aftermarket cooling explains why yours is cooler. Just a guess, but IMO your SC'er housing was cooler because the OEM airbox sits right next to the hot engine whereas the Riva intake sits further forward by the air inlets in the deck. Trust me, the air coming out of an E1 charger is MUCH hotter than stock.

Re: the GIO...which cooling kit are you using? Do you have the t-stat removed?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NJJer View Post
    That oil temp is too cold for any engine. It will develop lots of moisture, and won't burn up any blow-by like that. That is just asking for trouble.
    His oil temp is not that low. The problem is where he is measuing the temps. The end of the dip stick is not a good place.

Be careful if you are using a IR spot thermometer. There is a single thermal sensor that averages the temperature in the area that the detector covers. The diameter of that area grows at a 24 deg angle as you get further from the object you are viewing. If you are not very close to the object being reviewed they are extremely inaccurate, you are not measuring an area the size of the laser dot. You will never get an accurate reading on the end of a dipstick or a drop of oil. The oil filter is a good idea, however, if the filter has a gloss to it you will not get a good reading either. In general reflective surfaces or metallic objects to not show all their IR energy.

In contrast a typical IR camera has between 20,000 and 75,000 of those thermal detectors, whereas the IR thermometer has one.

+1
    I have installed a MoTeC oil temperature sensor directly in the oil pan while the engine was removed from the ski last spring. I am data loging oil temp using my MoTeC ECU. My typical oil temp is around 190F degrees on normal cruise and it will go up to 205F degrees during hard runs. I have to say I modified my water cooling circuit in order to feed the oil cooler with warm water coming out of the exhaust manifold to achieve higher operating oil temperature without affecting actual engine temperature. No more GIO when oil temp is above 180F degrees.

+1
    Awesome info Desperado.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Awesome info Desperado.
    +1

Many thanks for sharing.

+1
    Emissivity
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The emissivity of a material (usually written ε or e) is the relative ability of its surface to emit energy by radiation. It is the ratio of energy radiated by a particular material to energy radiated by a black body at the same temperature. It is a measure of a material's ability to radiate absorbed energy.
    In general, the duller and blacker a material is, the closer its emissivity is to 1. The more reflective a material is, the lower its emissivity. Highly polished silver has an emissivity of about 0.02.[1]

Yep the good old Wikipedia.

The best way I can explain it is if you have a nice shinny kettle, paint one side mat black, bring the to the boil. Then measure both sides they will be measured to be at a different temp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information