Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha XL 800 , Crank and Piston Advice.

Ok, I am a bit of a newbee to PWC's so I need some advice.

My 2000 XL 800 power valve motor is in need of some help.

I tore it apart and one of the rod bearings on the crank melted and my cylinders are scored.

I plan to send the cylinders out to US Chrome in WI. for refinishing.

But what should I do about the Crank ?

Should I have mine rebuilt, buy an OEM or Hotrods ?

If I have it rebuilt, where do I send it ? I need some advice. There is way to many online rebuilders. I dont know who to trust....

What about pistons. WSM, Pro-x ???

This boat is used more recreationally so I do need to go to the extreme, but I need it to be reliable.

Thanks Guys...

Can you send some pictures. How many hours on the ski? The more information you put into this thread the greater the responses. I also lost a cylinder. Here is what I know so far:

1) Figure out what caused the failure. If you don't the same thing will happen again.
    2) Do as much research on the forum as possable so that you know what you are dealing with.
    3) I'm rebuilding with PRO-X pistons. Will be sending cabs to osidebill to be rebuilt.
    4) So far the best overall prices I have found are from atlanticjetsports.com (I have not ordered anything yet and do not know there reputation yet. So if anyone would like to comment on that it would be great.)
    5) I have been told that US Chrome and Millennium Technologies are both good for re-plating(Do not re-sleeve)

Steveard,

Thanks for the info. I will post some pic's later this week. I know one cylinder needs to be re-nik'ed it has scratches in the bore from metal shavings ( I can feel with my finger nail ) from what I believe to be whats left of my rod bearing.

The second cyl could be marginal. I will post some pic's.

Thanks for the heads up on Pro-x. I spoke to Atlantic the other day and they said to go with pro-x as well.

At this point I have torn down the entire motor. So it looks like I am in for a complete rebuild.

+1
    Don't use WSM pistons. I would use Pro-X pistons.

As far as the crankshaft is concerned, I would send it off to Crankworks to see what it would cost to rebuild it.

I would recommend Millenium Technologies for replating but make sure you double check everything (finish size, piston clearance and port chamfers).

+1
    And I almost forgot but I would only use OEM Yamaha crankseals and gaskets when putting it back together.

+1
    stay away from atlantic jetsports. i bought a piston through them since they had the a size in stock, but i hear they are no good.

theres numbers on your jugs, 1-19 i think, that judges the size. go to the pro x pistons on rivas site to tell which ones you need.

Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    stay away from atlantic jetsports. i bought a piston through them since they had the a size in stock, but i hear they are no good.

theres numbers on your jugs, 1-19 i think, that judges the size. go to the pro x pistons on rivas site to tell which ones you need.
    What`s wrong with atlantic?
    you got 3 piston kits? what did they run ya?

Well too late for me. I already ordered from Atlantic before you said anything. So far they have been realy good to me. Parts shipped quickly and they called me twice to let me know the pistons are delayed a few days. I will let you know how it was after I have all my parts.

Ok, I received all my parts from Atlantic Jetsports. I noticed a few thing with my order:

1. Many of the items were shipped via 3rd parties. (I had no issues with this)
    2. They were very prompt at giving me a call about the order and also let me know that my pistons were out of stock and would be backordered. (They ended up coming about 1 week after all the other parts.)
    3. Though very good with updating me via phone I did not receive any shipping info untill I asked. (Again not to big of a deal)
    4. They do not send any update info or shipping info via email.(This is ussually automated but nonexistant for them. This makes me think that they are a little outdated and could improve here but because they called me multiple times I was ok with it.)
    5. I received one part of my order in about 3 days, a second part in about 5 days and the last part (backordered pistons) in about 14 days. I did not ask for or want a higher priority shipping because I had a lot of time I could wait.
    6. Overall The prices were very good and the costumer service was also very good outside of the email to give the shipping info.

Sent The Cylinders out for Re- Plating.

Guys thanks for all the imput. I sent my cylinders to US Chrome up in Wi on Friday.

Scott the Plant Manager called me today to tell me my cylinders need to be honed and
    re-plated. He was very helpful.

After doing some reseach I ran into another issue. Yamaha reccomends several different standard size pistons based on the casting number on the cylinder.

For example cylinders with the number 1-5 fall into a standard size bore of 80mm.
    Cylinders with larger casting numbers up to 18 fall into several larger piston sizes.

Mine are # 18. If I recall are 80.018mm. According to US Chrome they will hone mine and re-plate to 80mm.

Looks like I will go with the Pro -X Pistons.

Has anyone worked with PWC Engine before ? I was considering buying gaskets and pistons from them and possibley a rebuilt crank.

any thoughts ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information