Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

SC Belt Mangement

I was thinking a few peeps seem to have issues with belts, in over 80 hours of racing I have destroyed 3 superchargers and never a belt. In 155 hours I have done one belt and that was my fault for not aligning it properly, I have been running pulleys both small and med for over 50 hours. I thought if we could all share our routines we might get a good sticky or tech thread made. Should be able to pull a rec routine out of race maintenance.

1. Buy the r&d belt tensioner gauge.
    2. Undo the tensioner and inspect all sides of the belt before every race day.
    3. Retension the belt before every race day, I tension to the upper 3/4 of the gap in the gauge.
    3. Replace sc and tensioner bearings every 25 hours, $70 low cost insurance.
    4. Replace Belt every 50 hours, $46 low cost insurance.
    5. Check your pulleys every 50 hours, pay attention to the fins in the pulley, sometimes I have noticed little nics and scratches in the pulley, I think the steel wires in the belt cause this or just bits of crap getting in there at 8200rpm. I file these clean and make sure all the fins are smooth.

Tip: Get off the Gas (throttle) when you unhook for any longer than a second or two at the most, loading that pump and drive train up at full rpm aint good for the sc or belt.

Chime in guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JET250 View Post
    I was thinking a few peeps seem to have issues with belts, in over 80 hours of racing I have destroyed 3 superchargers and never a belt. In 155 hours I have done one belt and that was my fault for not aligning it properly, I have been running pulleys both small and med for over 50 hours. I thought if we could all share our routines we might get a good sticky or tech thread made. Should be able to pull a rec routine out of race maintenance.

3. Retension the belt before every race day, I tension to the upper 3/4 of the gap in the gauge.
    5. Check your pulleys every 50 hours, pay attention to the fins in the pulley, sometimes I have noticed little nics and scratches in the pulley, I think the steel wires in the belt cause this or just bits of crap getting in there at 8200rpm. I file these clean and make sure all the fins are smooth.

Tip: Get off the Gas (throttle) when you unhook for any longer than a second or two at the most, loading that pump and drive train up at full rpm aint good for the sc or belt.

Chime in guys.
    +1 on your Tip; that can't be good for the crankshaft either banging up on the rev Limiter Constantly

I can get 100 hours on a Belt, Pulley, and tensioner wheel B 4 I replace them. My trick is to keep all these parts squeaky squeaky clean. I don't even check the tension on the Belt. I am only spinning stock RPM's though so this is probably helping to make those parts last a little longer. Plus I do run my Belt on the "tight side" (but within limits) . . . . slipping belts are no good and will wear out faster. JB.

Good tips jetman.

+1
    good points JB. our engine is at 8230 90% of its life so it gets the royal the treatment all the time, and I am sick of breaking in races so very careful now. But clean is the go as well.

Update;

6. Keep everything clean.

+1
    always ran mine on the loser side of the guage and never had one slip replaced one at 80hrs when i rebuilt motor and very rarely check it, 133hrs as of now but it is always kept super clean. 8000+ rpm on 1.1

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    90hrs
    8250-8300
    only ride Saltwater and ocean water
    Stock Belt the ski came with
    Rogue 1-1 pulley and idler ( one of the 1st sets around well before JAC 2009 thanks to Skip RIP ) over 50 hrs on them sofar

high side of gauge...........but never needed to adjust since installing pullies

CLEAN is a very big help to ensure belt life.........

Waz

New belt 100hours, still keep old belt as spare. Never broke one yet touch wood.....So we all about the same, hey.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Aussie View Post
    New belt 100hours, still keep old belt as spare. Never broke one yet touch wood.....So we all about the same, hey.
    Please dont compare me to Dave( jet250 ) he is one sick F>*@K
    and Corey is a Mexican
    as we live in the Sunshine state..

Best compliment Dave has had all day!

+1
    yes and I wonder where I learnt from, oh great teacher warren king of the sick.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information