92 kawa 750ss runs great then slows down, any help?

My ski 750ss will run great for a few mins. then bog down. It doesn't die or anything, and after staying just above idle for about 1 min. it will run great again for about 30 seconds. Any ideas?

+1
    Welcome aboard, MMaughan77!

Could be an exhaust leak that is filling the hull with fumes. Could be a problem with a fuel line or fuel tank venting.

Run it with the seat off and check for exhaust leaks.

Got it back out to the lake this weekend. I ran it with the seat off (didn't seem to help the problem), and I found that the fuel tank breather valve was installed in the wrong direction. It ran a lot better, but still seemed to bog down after a couple mins. of riding. Every once in a while, somehow it would run perfect for about 10 mins then bog down again. It really seems to be a fuel problem of some sort, Should I pull and rebuild the carb? Could it be a bad carb jet? It really flys when it runs right, just wish it could hold the speed its an awsome ride when it does. Thanks for the help and ideas!

+1
    Could be the spark plug wires. I had one that ran sort of like that. It would run good for a minute, then run poorly, then run good... The spark plug wires were making intermittent contact. Kawasakis are notorious for it.

Unscrew the rubber boot from the end of the wire, then try pulling the wire strands with some needlenose pliers. I bet you get some wires coming loose. If so, trim the wires back a half inch or so and re-install the boot.

I will look at the wires. I also had another thought, could it be the case water drain, I notice a pretty strong gas smell after it sets closed for a couple of days (not exhaust). I have looked over all the lines and have not found any leaks or cracks. If I am not mistaken the ski needs pressure from the case to actuate the fuel pump, and if it leaks the pressure off at high speed? Is there any danger in taking off the valve. I have already removed the oil pump, plated it off and run 50:1 premix. Thanks again for the help!

+1
    Yea, I forgot about that. The case drains often leak. You'll probably have to pull the engine out to get to it.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Mine did same thing. Cleaned carb, took tank pick-up out and found return 100% plugged, fuel pick up 50% plugged, and in line fuel filter after seperator was plugged. (again). Cleaned it up, drained tank and cleaned out, fresh gas and haven't had a problem since. Also gotta watch that screwy crank drain and make sure no issue there.
    Talk to Sean (Seobin?) as he has one also and knows more than me.
    Remove that pick-up from tank and check it out and if you have no inline filter put one in.
    Good luck.

I pulled the carb, intake and reeds today just to make sure everything was clean and not broken. Everything looked great except when I cracked into the carb, The little internal filter was totaly covered in what looked like cottonwood cotton. I cleaned it all up and re assembled it. Looks like I am going through the fuel system. Good thing the weather is looking cold here, This could take a while. Thanks rlovebk for the idea about the inline filter, I wasn't sure if I could hack one into the line or not being a 2 cycle and all. Does anyone know what the diaphram in the carb with the silver wheel (4-5 holes in the metal circle) in the middle does? Thanks all for the help and ideas!

Thread Information