Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Impeller too small for wear ring housing

I just had the jet pump replaced on my jet ski and put an aftermarket impeller in. Both the mechanic and I noticed the aftermarket impeller was too small and had about a half inch gap between the edges of the impeller and the wear ring (obviously the wrong impeller). He said that the difference in size shouldn't be a problem.

I just tested it on the lake and it wont even get on plane, tops out at about 5 mph. Engine runs perfect. Is the impeller size the problem or should I look elsewhere?

I'd run away from that guy! I'm pretty new to the PWC thing and I know that is not right.

+1
    take it back and abuse the F&^k out of him clearance should be .1mm for a nice tight fit not 1/2" thats a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by dittobell View Post
    I just had the jet pump replaced on my jet ski and put an aftermarket impeller in. Both the mechanic and I noticed the aftermarket impeller was too small and had about a half inch gap between the edges of the impeller and the wear ring (obviously the wrong impeller). He said that the difference in size shouldn't be a problem.

I just tested it on the lake and it wont even get on plane, tops out at about 5 mph. Engine runs perfect. Is the impeller size the problem or should I look elsewhere?

If I had 3mm clearance I'd be ordering a new prop.

Well its pretty plain to see that that guy doesn't know anything about marine anything. If you bought the impeller from dude take it back to him and get your money back. You should have no more than 1mm clearance between the wear ring and the blades of the impeller. Your not building any pressure to move the ski.

Take the time to smile
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by STX-15FER View Post
    Well its pretty plain to see that that guy doesn't know anything about marine anything. If you bought the impeller from dude take it back to him and get your money back. You should have no more than 1mm clearance between the wear ring and the blades of the impeller. Your not building any pressure to move the ski.
    You should have nothing even close to 1mm
    .3 > .7 mm max tolerance
    I rebuild my prop/impeller when clearance gets above.
    0.4mm

Waz

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert
    +1
    <thud>..amazing he was able to even get the impeller off with that fantastic body of info. Always check the manual for correct prop/ring clearance. I thought there was something wrong with a 951 seaddoo wring I just installed...gap looked large..well I checked the manual and the spec for clearance was much larger then I had seen on 4-tecs..measured it and it was just dandy..but a half inch?

mama-mia..send that boy to school..since it's painfully obvious it was his very very first time using grown up tools.

Correct meant .3mm not 3

+1
    easy prop clearance test with benefits - go down on your girl keep that hair that always ends up in your teeth, you should be able to just squeeze it in between the prop and pump liner. everything else off to the shop

Now you guys obviously haven't been sucking up turtles feet and sea snakes where you come from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information