Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Riva engine internal upgrade kit test result,anyone?

i juz ordered my Riva engine internal upgrade kit,
    i would like to knw anyone here install? wats the result?
    plz share tks

+1
    What kind of results are you wanting to hear? It's internal upgrades. Pretty self explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    What kind of results are you wanting to hear? It's internal upgrades. Pretty self explanatory.
    +1

+1
    I would like to hear more about the installation of this kit as I am going to upgrade one day soon.
    Sounds like removing the drive coupler is a bitch.

+1
    Removing the drive coupler would be the least of my worries. You don't just slap pistons and rods in the block. The block will need machine work, you will need to know how to file fit rings, check clearances, install pistons, and torque rod bolts. Unless you feel very confident in these processes, it would be best to let RIVA assemble the shortblock. I would also caution against just using some random machine shop who does not have experience with SHO motors.

+1
    Removing the drive coupler would be the least of my worries. You don't just slap pistons and rods in the block. The block will need machine work, you will need to know how to file fit rings, check clearances, install pistons, and torque rod bolts. Unless you feel very confident in these processes, it would be best to let RIVA assemble the shortblock. I would also caution against just using some random machine shop who does not have experience with SHO motors.
    We have local dealer down here that has rebuilt a few of these motors for good support and tools, I myself rebuilt (2) 4-tecs with over 200 hard hours to date. Its amazing how far a good torque wrench and a shop manual will take you.

Does the intermediary shaft have to be removed to get off the magneto housing?

Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan FZR View Post
    We have local dealer down here that has rebuilt a few of these motors for good support and tools, I myself rebuilt (2) 4-tecs with over 200 hard hours to date. Its amazing how far a good torque wrench and a shop manual will take you.

Does the intermediary shaft have to be removed to get off the magneto housing?

Yes, and the OEM tools to do it properly are about $500-$600
    You can get the big ass coupler wrench from R&D and save a little money.

YMMV

Well, before I was so rudely interrupted by the site not responding at all... Again...

This is the generator with the transfer shaft still installed

These are the tools except for the one you need for the transfer shaft

installing of this things is it the same as wat we did on our mods car?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan FZR View Post
    Its amazing how far a good torque wrench and a shop manual will take you.
    Unless the manual is wrong like it was in Dave's case and you get the wrong torque on the flywheel bolts. Then you get to pull the motor back out and fix things again. I still say you can't reuse the flywheel, but we never get to the bottom of that one. Too many unknows for me to attempt it. If I was going to be doing a motor it would be through Riva or R&D. I don't like doing things twice and three times.

+1
    I did not remove the intermediate shaft and magneto housing when I rebuilt my engine last spring. These components are better left on the crankshaft if there is no particular reason to remove them. All machining and balancing work can be done with these components assembled on the crankshaft.

Doing a good rebuild takes good knowledge, time and proper equipment. It is not out of reach for people who have reasonnable experience at building performance engines. However, the fact many aftermarket parts are typically installed in a performance engine rebuild makes the whole thing much more complicated.... never assume all aftermarket parts out there are better than genuine Yamaha parts. There are many performance parts that don't mix well with one another...... and that can ruin an expensive engine build quite fast.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information