Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage TXI won't Start or Runs rough when Damp

I have a 2002 TXI that wouldn't start this spring, I could force it to start by holding the on/off button down. After it ran a few minutes it would run. But seems to run a little rough. After reading all the threads I replaced the battery, and starter solenoid. Did better for a few days then returned to it's bad behavior. Replaced the on/off switch/lanyard. Took it to the lake and used it all day no problems. Two days later same problem, wired around the MFD, no help, wired around LR-503 no help, disconnected the TPS, no help. If I try to start the ski in the morning when air is damp, won't start. Open the ski up and let the sun dry it, It will start and run, but runs a little rough. If it were a car I would say crack in distributor, what component would cause this?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Ohm check the sensors; CPS, air temp, water temp.

Any red lamp or warning message on the display?

What is the DC voltage on White/Red wire while cranking?
    All injectors plugged in for this test.

You may need to read the trouble codes out of the EMM using the LED tool. Details can be found in my signature links.

No red lamp or warning except a red lamp when in reverse, is this normal? I will check voltage and ohm sensors, thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    ... a red lamp when in reverse, is this normal?...
    Yes, along with the message 'Reverse' on the display.

Angry the saga continues

I was convinced the problem was electrical. After checking and replacing numerous electrical components, no luck. I went back and double checked everything from the start, suddenly no fuel pressure. I guess maybe when I checked it the first time it was the problem was intermittent, after all the ski would run sometimes.
    Anyway no fuel pressure now, clamped return line, still no pressure. Ground the brown wire, pump runs, no fuel pressure, but sounds like splashing noise, not a pump loading up. I guess next is to remove the pump. Can it be removed on a 2002 txi from the front? Any thing familiar with the odd pump noise?

+1
    ...next is to remove the fuel pump.

Can it be removed on a 2002 TXi from the front?...
    I think you can wiggle the fuel pump out with the tank still in the hull

You will need to release the tank mount straps and disconnect the oil tank hoses (filler and outlet), plus disconnect the fuel filler hose.

Be careful disconnecting the vent hose at the tank. There is a release tab for the vent connector. The fuel pump electrical connector also has a locking tab that sides sideways.

Be sure to remove the battery first - you want no possibility of sparks when working with an open fuel tank

Once you get the fuel tank shifted forward as much as possible, then you can work the pump up and just edge it past the hood opening.

Watch that you don't rip off the sending arm float when you are working the pump out of the tank.

It has been a while since I had my own apart. You MAY need to undo some of the reverse lever mechanism to get enough clearance. Info on how that comes apart can be found via my signature links.

If your reverse lever is getting stiff and hard to operate, now would be the time to correct that while you are in there.

I was convinced the problem was electrical. After checking and replacing numerous electrical components, no luck. I went back and double checked everything from the start, suddenly no fuel pressure. I guess maybe when I checked it the first time it was the problem was intermittent, after all the ski would run sometimes.
    Anyway no fuel pressure now, clamped return line, still no pressure. Ground the brown wire, pump runs, no fuel pressure, but sounds like splashing noise, not a pump loading up. I guess next is to remove the pump. Can it be removed on a 2002 txi from the front? Any thing familiar with the odd pump noise?
    If you have no fuel pressure with the return line clamped I am thinking the pump is no good. If I am understanding the operation of the pump correctly, the fuel pressure regulator is on the end of the return line inside the tank and provides resistance to the flow to build pressure. Since you clamped the return line off completly and still no pressure that tells you the pump isnt actually pumping anything.

What about the strange sound of the pump, splashing, any idea?

It would be a guess at best about that. I would assume its pumping the fuel back into the tank instead of through the lines. K447 would have to jump in on that one. What do you think Keith?

+1
    You have to take the pump out, no matter what the noise is. Running fuel pump with no pressure = remove pump.

Might be the hose come off the pump exit inside the unit.

Get the fuel pump out, then you can diagnose/repair or replace it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information