Oil Pump Question

I have searched this site for information about blocking off my oil pump and premixing my 96 Polaris sl780. Although these articles have been helpful, and I already pretty much had grasped the concept before hand, they didn't answer a few of the questions that I had about my specific model. First off, my block off plate came with no gasket. Is this ok to install with a sealant of some kind? Second, the articles and posts I read talked about leaving the oil tank intact, and modifying the sender to trick the computer into thinking the ski has oil??? Is this necessary on all models?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthro441 View Post
    I have searched this site for information about blocking off my oil pump and premixing my 96 Polaris sl780. Although these articles have been helpful, and I already pretty much had grasped the concept before hand, they didn't answer a few of the questions that I had about my specific model.

First off, my block off plate came with no gasket. Is this ok to install with a sealant of some kind?

Second, the articles and posts I read talked about leaving the oil tank intact, and modifying the sender to trick the computer into thinking the ski has oil??? Is this necessary on all models?
    Not sure what you were reading, but the slick approach is to install a 33 ohm resistor inside the electrical box, in place of the oil sender wire. Insulate the resistor leads and use insulated crimp spade connectors.

Then you can remove or leave the (empty) oil tank in place, as you choose.

Some models will invoke 'limp mode' RPM limiting if the oil level reads low. In all cases, it looks better to show full oil on the display, and the 33 ohm resistor is easy and inexpensive to do.

Sealant should be fine on the block-off plate (as long as it is a good seal), but remove the gear driven drive shaft for the oil pump from the engine before you install the cover plate.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Not sure what you were reading, but the slick approach is to install a 33 ohm resistor inside the electrical box, in place of the oil sender wire. Insulate the resistor leads and use insulated crimp spade connectors.

the 33 ohm resistor is easy and inexpensive to do.
    I hate to be dense, but is there a "How to" thread on this?

Do you simply attach one end of the resistor the the spade where the oil sender wire used to connect?

Leave the other end loose? Or does it attach to something else?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Thread Information