Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

I just stuffed the pump!

So I put a smaller venturi on my msx to bring the RPMs down and see if I could gain some speed. Good news is I went from 75 to 77. the bad news is the back end kicked up and the ski almost submarined. I dont know how the hell I stayed on because it made a hard left but I hurt my wrist a little. Looks like its back to the drawing board if I wanna make it to 80 without ending up in a body bag

+1
    Or maybe this caused my problem

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100929_160243.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	215806

Heres a pic of my Kawasaki 1100ZXi. This is what Kawasaki did to fix the problem of too much pump pressure so maybe I'll do something like that

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100929_160148.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	215807

+1
    Is that the front grate mount?? What grate were you running? Stick a pressure gauge on to monitor tunnel pressure.

Same thing happened to me this past summer on my pro 1200. I almost got thrown over the handle bars. Didn't know what happened until I loaded it on the trailer and didn't see a grate. Bolt was still there. It bent the front of the rideplate down when it happened which then broke the seal between the rideplate and inlet scoop. It was a R&D 650 grate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Is that the front grate mount?? What grate were you running? Stick a pressure gauge on to monitor tunnel pressure.
    It was the stock grate. I told you I was running it. I was walking around the yard last week and saw an MSX grate laying on the ground with the hole for the bolt missing. That was a sign that injury was in my future

If im gonna go through the trouble of monitoring tunnel pressure Im just gonna spend that time on adding safety precaustions instead

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by laskt View Post
    Same thing happened to me this past summer on my pro 1200. I almost got thrown over the handle bars. Didn't know what happened until I loaded it on the trailer and didn't see a grate. Bolt was still there. It bent the front of the rideplate down when it happened which then broke the seal between the rideplate and inlet scoop. It was a R&D 650 grate.
    I should inspect my ride plate better to check for damage then.

+1
    For top speeds i just talk to a guy who knows theses hull Very well and he said to stay with the stock grate ,just going to have to figure out how to keep it attached to the hull better , on my Matrix from Conn. the stock grate also was ready to pull through the stock bolt

+1
    So how is the old Atlantic Powersports shop...looks way different than 2 years ago.....do you use my teardown table? I loved that thing.....you do know where it is? It is sad that Ron had some hardships and the placed closed....I see you like my chain fall and beam.....works great doesn't it? I spent 7 years their and loved every minute of it.... except towards the end.I worked may late nights in that garage in the summer months. I see the parts washer is still there and the A/C unit is in the wall still....

Are you going to get some GPS numbers on that hull? These guys love to see video so post some up.

Nice job on the conversion! The MSX hull is still the BEST handling production hull to this day!!!! IMHO....

Jay

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    ...stay with the stock grate ,just going to have to figure out how to keep it attached to the hull better ,

on my Matrix from Conn. the stock grate also was ready to pull through the stock bolt
    The MSX stock intake grate uses a flat head bolt.

Perhaps you could change to the pre-MSX stock Polaris grate, which uses a tapered head bolt. Seems to be more metal under the bolt head with the tapered bolt. Just need to change the bolt to match
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8200002.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	215854  

For us, testing with the stock grate worked the best. Funny, we gained mph with the larger then stock venturis... may have to do with impeller selection?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information