Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Smear Campaigning

Are you as sick and tired of the Democrats and Republicans smear campaigns as I am? It seems just about every commercial on TV these past couple of weeks is about one candidate attacking the credibility of the opposing candidate. I imagine it is a national tactic and not just limited to Florida. I would be interested to see what the politicans running for office intend to do about the many issues facing the community, state and nation rather than watching them bad mouth each other. The games they play would be expected from grade schoolers, not from adult men and women.

It leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Richard
    Last edited by way2fast; 10-26-2006 at 04:17 PM.

+1
    Imagine if they put that much effort into issues at hand
    verses each other. I'am all for a good debate but smearing
    each other is a waste of time and takes credibility away
    from both parties.

Drives me up a wall.....Seriously.

Like high school girls trying to date the starting QB.. just toss out BS till one sounds worse thant he other.

I dont care what they did bad, I care what you can do BETTER.

+1
    At this time of the year with all the political ads on TV it makes me glad I have Replay TV. I watch all shows about 15 mins delayed, that way I can just FF through the commercials.

it definately gets old.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    If enough of us vote for 3rd party candidates, a major 3rd party will be a reality.

+1
    Rich,

I've always been under the impression that this type of campaigning was a relatively modern phenomenon. However, I'm making my way through biographies of our first presidents (currently on Jefferson), and I've been really surprised at what I read.

All the books I've read indicate that smear campaigns have been here since the beginning. And let me tell you, those guys 200 years ago were just as bad as they are today - even worse. It's kinda funny to imagine John Adams and Thomas Jefferson on stage screaming "Your mama is such a ho..." - but that's what they did back then.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    Rich,

I've always been under the impression that this type of campaigning was a relatively modern phenomenon. However, I'm making my way through biographies of our first presidents (currently on Jefferson), and I've been really surprised at what I read.

All the books I've read indicate that smear campaigns have been here since the beginning. And let me tell you, those guys 200 years ago were just as bad as they are today - even worse. It's kinda funny to imagine John Adams and Thomas Jefferson on stage screaming "Your mama is such a ho..." - but that's what they did back then.

Unbelievable...but I believe it. Guess it is human nature to belittle your competition. Look how owners of different PWC try to rip each other apart. Campaign smearing seems to have reached new highs (lows?) in the past few elections. I don't remember it being this bad back in the 70's and 80's....but maybe I just forgot.

Richard

+1
    Rich, I don't either, but I think it's a matter of being younger and not paying attention to the world.

Beginning with Jefferson's first term, the parties went at each other's throats. They accused each other of: stealing; fraud; treason (worst of all - sympathy with the French, of all things); incest; and drug use.

The only difference is that back then, all of this was done through "ghost writers" in the newspaper. But in fact they were really written by the candidates.

maybe I'm just not paying attention, but I haven't seen that kind of thing going on over here in Ca.

I'm sick and tired of the damn political phone calls. DO NOT CALL LIST should mean not to call me unless you know me personally and I have given you my number

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information