winterizing open loop system

Need some help. We need to winterize our sleds with open loop cooling. This is the first time for both sleds. Just want to make sure we are doing it correctly.

Nrhareiner
    06 RXT stage 3 with open loop cooling system, etc

+1
    I am guessing pumping RV antifreeze through the RIVA flush fitting would do the job. I am not sure if the by-pass line and pump input line would need to be pinched off or not. Also I am not sure if the thermostat needs to be removed to allow antifreeze to flow completely through the engine. The last thing I would do is start the engine and rev it up to clear the water box.

These are my thoughts on how I would go about winterizing a RIVA open loop system with an external IC. Any clarification or additional steps would be appreciated.

+1
    Either make sure there is no water in anything so that it cant freeze or pump antifreeze right thru everything untill you see it come out the thermo exit and the stock flush point then you know that everything has antifreeze inside.

No need to remove the thermo as it has a bleed that will flow even tho its not open, this is used to ensure constant flow at all times and everything else will flow through as well.

Easyest way to fill with antifreeze is to attach a funnel to your flush attachment that came with the riva kit and hold it abit above the ski and let gravity feed it thru the motor ect ect

R88

+1
    Thanks R88, I still wonder if most of the antifreeze will flow to the to path of least resistance and out the pump at the Y in the connection. I will pinch it off just to be safe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinut View Post
    Thanks R88, I still wonder if most of the antifreeze will flow to the to path of least resistance and out the pump at the Y in the connection. I will pinch it off just to be safe.
    Yes that is possible, I use a garden hose mixer to add my antifreeze as our temps in the UK dont get that low so I dont need that stronger mix, I have modified it so that I get a strong pink colour to the mix.

I first flush the ski as normal then with the engine still running put the mixer into the hose and it flows the antifreeze mix thorugh the same way as the flushing would, not had any issues yet. R88

Thread Information