Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carb question?

Carb question?

Are the check valves for the oil lines on the stock stx-r carbs replaceable? While changing my oil lines, one of the ports pulled out from the carb housing. I was lucky enough to retain the small ball and spring that was inside. The one that pulled out so easily is on my center cylinder, and just so happens that this cylinder has seized twice on me now. Is there a way to make sure that this cylinder is getting any oil, or can I replace the inlet valve?

+1
    I can't find any reference to them. Are you sure you have the right hose going to the center cylinder? It should get more oil than the others.

Yes the hoses are all correct. Just when the check valve pulled out so easily, I started thinking that this may be the problem? I did not check the two other check valves. After the center one came out with a slight tug on the oil line, I decided to cut the other two lines to remove them. I have searched the part store diagrams and could not find anything on them. I have not went to the dealership yet.

+1
    You can test the oil pump by removing it and mounting it in a vise. Spin it with an electric drill and measure how much comes out of each hose. You can't hook the drill directly to the drive coupling, use a piece of rubber hose to make a flexible drive. I stuck a piece of round stock that fit snugly into the hose in my drill to spin it. You'll have to rig up an inlet hose and fill it with oil, too.

This will give you an idea if you're getting oil, but won't really tell you if it's the correct amount.

You can probably replace the valve and use LocTite Stud & Bearing Mount, or epoxy to hold it in place.

+1
    Send a PM to Pale Rider. Andy ditched the oil pump on his 08' yami 1300 and still has the check valves. I know for a fact the oil LINES are the same size and would "assume" the check valves would be easily interchangable.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Does the valve need to be there. If I understand correctly, it's so oil doesn't run into the carb if stored for long periods of time isn't it? I remember my old 1100 DI didn't have them and first time you start the ski, after a while, it would smoke. There was then a recall to have them added.

I know my aftermarket carbs don't have the valves. Is there any reason why you can't just connect the oil lines without the valve (besides blowing more smoke at start up?).

Mal.

+1
    Actually, the valve works the other way. It keeps the pump and the lines themselves primed (prevent oil from draining back) to provide oil to the carbs quicker.
    I don't know if they are "needed" or not.

When the valve came out, there was a small spring and a ball that set on top of the spring. I am sure that this a one way check valve, if so I would think it would be needed to prevent any positive pressure in the crankcase from blowing back toward the oil pump.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Yeah, but that's not going to make it's way up the carb. The reeds would close anyway.

I don't think the oil is going to run back to the pump either. With the oil tank above the pump, the oil would always be trying to push it's way to the pump, and maybe even putting pressure (gravity) to push a little oil through the pump (if left sit for longer periods of time). I really think the valves are to stop oil draining into the carbs when it's idle. I'm not saying it as fact, just an opinion.

Cheers, Mal

Well, that makes alot of sense. While sitting idle, gravity would keep the oil draining into the carbs without the check valve. I am guessing that everything is ok with the carb. When I put the check valve back into the housing I used some red permatex and seated the valve lightly with a slight "tap".

Is there anyway to see if the oil is getting into the carb? Right now the engine is pulled and I could get a drill on the pump as stated above and turn the pump. If I did this would I be able to see oil entering the carb somewhere?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information