Tampa SeaDoo Crew TampaSpeedster's Avatar

Traded Up! 2008 Speedster 215hp to 2010 Challenger 180SE 255hp

Hey what's up guys, I haven't been back on the boards in a while, I've been busy working and playing with the new toy. Me and TheElite0ne recently made this upgrade after a trip to Bimini. The Speedsters made the trip just fine, but the thought of more comfort and more friends to come with was definitely appealing which made us pull the trigger. I thought I would throw together a quick review for those thinking of taking the same upgrade path.

Old Boat:
    2008 Seadoo Speedster 150 215hp Supercharged.
    X-Charger
    4" intake
    RXPX prop
    60mph GPS

New Boat:
    2010 Seadoo Challenger 180SE 255hp Supercharged
    48.6mph GPS *Stock*
    52.7mph GPS with intake
    4" Intake

Cruising difference:
    This is night/day better compared to the Speedster. The Challenger soaks up waves, bumps, vibrations and all with ease. Not to mention, doing so with the standard bimini up, tunes cranking and 7 friends along for the ride is great! There is tons of storage and cooler space.

Speed difference:
    At first, I was kind of disappointed by the overall speed, but after riding around for a while, I only miss the Speedster about 5% of the time. 95% of the time while cruising I am able to maintain a faster speed due to sea conditions. Where I would have had to slow down to 25-30 to keep my spine from going through the seat of the Speedster, the Challenger plows through at 50mph with no problem. Those of you that stick to calm lakes mostly will probably miss the Speedster a bit more. Adding the intake made a HELL of a difference too, put me right at 8000RPM's in the dead heat of summer. Picked up 3+mph, went from 7600-8000, probably gained at least 1-2lbs of boost.

Fuel Consumption:
    I took a trip with my other buddy (TheElite0ne) in Tampa from Ft Myers to Clewiston on the Caloosahatchee River --- about a 75 mile trip. I averaged about 3.2mpg over the trip. This is with 5 people in the boat, tons of gear, the bimini up (like a parachute! haha), and cruising at 7500+RPM nearly the whole time. In comparison, carrying 3 people in the old boat on the same river on the same trip, I averaged about 3.9MPG. Really, barely made any difference, a testament to the RXPX 255 engine and the awesome design of the hull.

Overall Comfort:
    There really is no contest here. Tons of space to walk around, hang out, close the window, sit in the shade etc. Love it.

Overall Thought:
    I think this was the best purchase I have made in a long time. The power, gas mileage, room and chill factor are all outstanding. I really dont have an issue with any aspect of the boat besides all-out top speed --- this may be remedied with a S/C upgrade in the future .

Videos
    Old Boats - Trip to Bimini:

New Boats - Trip to Clewiston & Sanibel

+1
    nice write up! great videos!

i guess you'll have to change your username....

Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    nice write up! great videos!

i guess you'll have to change your username....
    Pigeon-holed myself.

+1
    Great write up and assessment. I couldn't agree more.

In the beginning the only down side was the decrease in speed. We lost about 10mph in top speed which was pretty noticeable. But after I was able to barrel through 2ft waves at full speed with 6 other people in the boat and not spill my drink it was all worth it.

Finances aside, if anyone is contemplating a purchase between these two boats the Challenger is the clear choice.

Big news, guys; congrats. I agree, the Challenger is a real boat, compared to the overgrown jetski Speedster. I wouldn't have guessed that the 255hp Challenger would have only had about a 50MPH top speed, though; perhaps after breakin, she'll give a couple more MPH. Greatest plus to me would be the windshield. I've finally got my S150 dailed in to do a solid and consistent 65mph on my smooth lake (this cooler weather helps), and I can do 60-61 with a full-sized passenger. I can huddle behind the console, but I can always tell that the wind is tearing my passenger up at those speeds without a windshield.

+1
    How's that cobalt handle that challenger in that video?

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Big news, guys; congrats. I agree, the Challenger is a real boat, compared to the overgrown jetski Speedster. I wouldn't have guessed that the 255hp Challenger would have only had about a 50MPH top speed, though; perhaps after breakin, she'll give a couple more MPH. Greatest plus to me would be the windshield. I've finally got my S150 dailed in to do a solid and consistent 65mph on my smooth lake (this cooler weather helps), and I can do 60-61 with a full-sized passenger. I can huddle behind the console, but I can always tell that the wind is tearing my passenger up at those speeds without a windshield.
    Yeah, the boat can only hit about 50mph stock, but, you have to realize, it's dry weight is 50% more than the S150. It's damn big in comparison, 50mph feels pretty fast for such a big rig.

Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    How's that cobalt handle that challenger in that video?
    Very well in fact. The brembo race brakes with HP+ pads could stop a semi... so there are no worries there. The suspension was developed in Germany on the Nurburgring and has fantastic shocks and quite stiff spring rates (only sags about 1/2" with boat loaded up). It's turbocharged stock, and with the tune that I have puts out 400lb/ft of torque. Needless to say, you dont need nearly that much power... as I can still light the tires up in 2nd gear while towing haha. During that trip in the video, I averaged nearly 22mpg while towing 70mph with 4 people in the car as well. It loafs along in 5th gear at 70mph at 2k RPM, without even being in boost. Going up very steep grades, it will hit about 5psi and not even lose 1mph with cruise control.

Being that it has a limited slip also helps with traction on the ramp. The only part it struggles just a bit on is the initial yank out of the water, being that there is 0 boost available, so you just have a little 2.0L engine... but I've made it every time!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaSpeedster View Post
    Yeah, the boat can only hit about 50mph stock, but, you have to realize, it's dry weight is 50% more than the S150. It's damn big in comparison, 50mph feels pretty fast for such a big rig.

Very well in fact. The brembo race brakes with HP+ pads could stop a semi... so there are no worries there. The suspension was developed in Germany on the Nurburgring and has fantastic shocks and quite stiff spring rates (only sags about 1/2" with boat loaded up). It's turbocharged stock, and with the tune that I have puts out 400lb/ft of torque. Needless to say, you dont need nearly that much power... as I can still light the tires up in 2nd gear while towing haha. During that trip in the video, I averaged nearly 22mpg while towing 70mph with 4 people in the car as well. It loafs along in 5th gear at 70mph at 2k RPM, without even being in boost. Going up very steep grades, it will hit about 5psi and not even lose 1mph with cruise control.

Being that it has a limited slip also helps with traction on the ramp. The only part it struggles just a bit on is the initial yank out of the water, being that there is 0 boost available, so you just have a little 2.0L engine... but I've made it every time!
    That sounds pretty good, I didn't even pay close enough attention that it was an SS. Saw a guy with a SS at a local ramp here loading up a GTX had a tough time cuz he couldn't get deep enough.

Thanks for the good comparison, always nice to see an honest evaluation with some real world data. Your youtube videos are really cool.

The caloosahatchee is a nice ride I do it at least once a month

Thread Information