Unhappy 2003 xlt 1200 wont start, help

have used this ski recently with no problem. Launched it last week and would not start. Had choked it because temp was in 50's. Stopped choking. Let it sit. Eventually wore out the battery.
    Took it home. I recharged the battery, pulled the plugs, all 3 were black and moist. Replaced with new plugs. Checked for sparking, all spark. Still will not start. Pulled plugs, they are normal looking, not wet. What could it be?

+1
    It may be that you are not getting fuel to the cylinders and you could not crank your engine fast enough to help pull fuel into the carbs.

Try to put about 5cc's of premixed fuel into at least 2 cylinders, put the plugs back in, pull the throttle and start it up. You may have to do this a couple of times.

Nothing more frustrateing than getting to the water and the thing won't start,

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Nothing more frustrateing than getting to the water and the thing won't start,
    +1 Good tip is to get the ski started at home on the trailer before you head out. Chances are you'll have no problems starting once you get to the water.

+1 on starting at home. I do this every time on my XLT1200 because it struggles to start if left sitting for more than a few days. There is a primer kit you can put on this to help pump fuel and the carbs if not in good clean condition can cause this.

does yours have a fuel switch? Mine wouldn't start one day and I realized tha my switch wasn't getting all the way to the "on" position

just a thought

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyhookrider View Post
    does yours have a fuel switch? Mine wouldn't start one day and I realized tha my switch wasn't getting all the way to the "on" position

just a thought
    This is a good point. Throught the years, some guys have run lean and seized pistons because of the fuel switch, especially when they pump up their engines and have higher than stock fuel demands (the fuel switch is a restriction point in the fuel system). I completely bypassed my switch and have in fact run dual lines so that lack of fuel is not a problem.

Thread Information