2006 RXP Cylinder compresion

I was reading up on the compresion threads because I tested mine today and found that they were 135/155/155. Based on what I have read this is high. Is this a problem? I did by the ski from someone that works on skis alot but he did not say it had any mods outside of the SC replaced. Is cylinder 1 off too much from the others?

Note: I did this without any way to hook up water to warm it up so it was pretty cool when testing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveard View Post
    I was reading up on the compresion threads because I tested mine today and found that they were 135/155/155. Based on what I have read this is high. Is this a problem? I did by the ski from someone that works on skis alot but he did not say it had any mods outside of the SC replaced. Is cylinder 1 off too much from the others?

Note: I did this without any way to hook up water to warm it up so it was pretty cool when testing.
    155 seems a bit high for stock ski, cold motor, but could just be the gauge.
    As far as cylinder # 1 it is lower and does throw a flag, but could be result of being cold, plugs in or out, good cranking amps on all cylinder checks.

How many hours and verify is stock?
    try to get another compresion check with warm motor, plugs in, conected to battery charger if possible.

I would be more concerned with low numbers then high in your case, but yes as for now cylinder number one is more the 10% off but check again.

Hi Everyone,

I also have a compression question. I am restoring a motor that pulled the head off and examined the block. The block looks ok and the pistons look OK.

I am getting 35/35/35 in all cylinders. I look at the head I think if may need some work. i can place my hand over each cylinder intake and the vacum is strong.

What's everyone thoughts? Split the bottom end and check pistons rings. Or have the head redone then re-test?

+1
    Is the head on and torqued good with head gasket on? Do you have the cam chain on, and cam/crank timing set correctly? Battery fully charged, and spark plugs in other than the hole you are reading? Throttle ziptied wide open? Gotta have all those correct in order to get the best/highest readings ....
    Last edited by Vern; 10-02-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by reddog View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I also have a compression question. I am restoring a motor that pulled the head off and examined the block. The block looks ok and the pistons look OK.

I am getting 35/35/35 in all cylinders. I look at the head I think if may need some work. i can place my hand over each cylinder intake and the vacum is strong.

What's everyone thoughts? Split the bottom end and check pistons rings. Or have the head redone then re-test?

I would check the compresion with a second gauge to be sure before tearing into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Is the head on and torqued good with head gasket on? Do you have the cam chain on, and cam/crank timing set correctly? Battery fully charged, and spark plugs in other than the hole you are reading? Throttle ziptied wide open? Gotta have all those correct in order to get the best/highest readings ....
    Are you supposed to leave the other spark plugs in? I thought the manual said to remove all of them when testing comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Hi Vern,

I have not torqued the head down completely, because I wanted to do a rough compression check before installing a new gasket etc. I have the exhaust and intake manifolds removed completely so I could check the vacuum in each cylinder. I have plugs removed from the other cylinders that I am testing.

But your question on timing is one that I have for myself. I have never working on one of these. Done a couple auto engines before..not an expert at it but mechanically capable.

So to be sure I have the horizontal markers of the plastic cap of the cam shaft sprocket lined up horizontally with the top of the cylinder head. While the two marker points on the crank shaft and balance shaft face each other...At least that's what I understand from the manual. But I hoping for some feedback from experience more so than a manual.

Thread Information