+1

Electrical Problem

The last two times I was out, I had this problem occur on my 2006 RXT. I recently just installed a distribution block to run all of my components such as the 2 750gph bilge pumps, and my VTS.

So while I was out the first time, I was testing the ski for about a hour and then I docked it and took a little break. When I came back, I had plugged the key back into the dess post and there was no power at all. I didn't get any beeps, my gauges didn't turn on, and my fuel pump didn't even cycle on. I waited another 30 mins, and tried to put the key back onto the post, and still no power. After the fustration, I opted to go home to figure out my problem. I thought it was just a loose wire somewhere, so I tried looking for this "loose" wire, but found nothing. I decided to just unplug the positive and negative wires on the battery, and reconnect them. After doing this, all my power came back when I put the key back in. I started the ski and everything was fine again.

After having the ski work again, I figured it was just a bad connection at the battery posts, so I took the ski out again the next day. I rode the whole day for about 5 hours, and got on/off the jet ski many times so everything seem to be working okay that day. Right before I opted to go home, I took the ski out for one last run, and the problem occurred again! I was far from the dock this time, so I had to get towed back in. I put the jet ski back on the trailer, and was in the parking lot trying to figure out the problem. I opted to try the same solution I had done before, and to my surprise. The ski worked like normal again. Everything worked like how it should, but now I am afraid that the next time I am out the same problem will occur again.....

I am pretty sure my problem is due to the distribution block, but I just can't see how this is causing my ski to mess up like this.

Has anyone ever ran into this problem before?????

+1
    How are you switching the distribution blocks power on/off?

Banned User
    +1
    you thinking sticky relay beerdart?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    How are you switching the distribution blocks power on/off?
    The distribution has it's own power and ground connection so I just ran a power cable that's fused and a negative cable to the distribution block. These two wires are Connected directly to the battery.

Here is a link to the block that I have.
    http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/125

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krouchchocolate View Post
    The distribution has it's own power and ground connection so I just ran a power cable that's fused and a negative cable to the distribution block. These two wires are Connected directly to the battery.

Here is a link to the block that I have.
    http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/125
    I have the same block, but mine uses blade fuses. Do you have a switch for that stuff?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    I have the same block, but mine uses blade fuses. Do you have a switch for that stuff?
    It takes agc fuses so a switch is not required.

+1
    Any other tips?

+1
    Well how are you turning the bilge pumps and vts on and off?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Well how are you turning the bilge pumps and vts on and off?
    forgot to post this info. The bilge pumps are wired as automatic so it will only turn on when it detects water. The vts is manually turned on by the vts switch on the handlebar. I didn't run the wires to the mpem. I ran the vts switch directly to the vts motor, and connected the vts motor to my distribution block.

+1
    Well if thats the case. there are many things that could be wrong. Unfortunately its hard to diagnose when it works.
    DESS post is the first thing that comes to mind. Id say something like a loose connection but i would assume you'd have issues whick the ski is running like the gauges may flicker when you hit wave.
    I'd start with making sure the battery terminals are very clean and tighten them with a 10mm not a screw driver

Thread Information