Replacement spark plugs caused would not start or idle!

Don't let this happen to you folks. I went to Autozone to replace my stock 9 year old spark plugs as preventive maintenance. They looked up the NGK plugs that came in my 2001 Virage TXi and said it was not available, but that another Autolite plug was a direct replacement for it. I said sure. They even looked similar. Same thread height, same electrode tip, etc. Got the plugs home, gapped them to 28, put them in the ski and the ski would not start without holding the throttle open a little bit. Also would not idle without feathering the throttle. Put the old plugs back in and VOILA works again. Idles fine, accelerates well, purrs like a kitten. Don't let this happen to you. I can't imagine how many folks have been fighting with their skis that won't idle or start well and they have a "brand new plugs" that are in fact the problem. I'm sure K447 has harped on this one already, but when a post gets old it falls off the radar. I have tried to include as many keywords as possible that will be relevant to future searches by folks in this post as I can. Don't be me and don't listen to your local auto parts store.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    I have heard in the past that the only plugs that you should use are NGK plugs. I didn't even think Autolite had a direct equivalent for these plugs. (Apparently they don't!)

One question that I have had and no one seems to be able to answer definitively is what skis use the BR style plugs and which ones use the BPR style with the projected tip. I have seen both used in various engines, but really, which is the proper one to use?

Plugs that have been used on Polaris skis: (All NGK)

BR7ES BPR7ES
    BR8ES BPR8ES
    BR9ES BPR9ES

I am sure there are others, but which ones to use?

The only store I've found locally that sells NGKs is O'Reilly. And even they can't get the BPR9ES for my 1200's. I usually order them in bulk off ebay when I can find them.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Fuel injected Ficht engines REQUIRE the NGK PZFR6H spark plugs - no substitutes

Quote Originally Posted by aegeas View Post
    Don't let this happen to you folks. I went to Autozone to replace my stock 9 year old spark plugs as preventive maintenance. They looked up the NGK plugs that came in my 2001 Virage TXi and said it was not available

...I can't imagine how many folks have been fighting with their skis that won't idle or start well and they have a "brand new plugs" that are in fact the problem.

I'm sure K447 has harped on this one already, but when a post gets old it falls off the radar.

I have tried to include as many keywords as possible that will be relevant to future searches by folks in this post as I can. Don't be me and don't listen to your local auto parts store.
    The fuel injected Polaris Ficht engines are particularly sensitive to having the correct spark plugs.

NGK PZFR6H spark plugs are the ONLY spark plugs you can use in the Ficht engines (Virage i, Virage TXi, Genesis FFI, Genesis i, MSX 140). No substitutes.

These spark plugs ARE available from multiple sources. If you shop around online you can find them for a 'reasonable' price. I have purchased from Sparkplugs.com with good results.

For the carburetor engines, there may be some non-NGK substitutes that will work, but why mess around? The genuine NGK spark plugs are just not that expensive, and not that hard to find.

Ficht ignition technical trivia: At idle and low RPM, the EMM fires the spark plugs multiple times in rapid succession for each power stroke. This allows the EMM to ensure the very lean fuel mix reliably ignites, and contributes to the stable idle speed and California Low Emissions rating.

Note: ALL Polaris engines require resistor spark plugs. That is the R in the part number.

On some carburetor engines you can tweak the heat range (hotter or colder) or change the plug tip projection (P or no-P in the NGK part number). On others, you should not.

Do not change spark plug heat range or tip type unless you know what you are doing, and why.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aegeas View Post
    Don't let this happen to you folks. I went to Autozone to replace my stock 9 year old spark plugs as preventive maintenance. They looked up the NGK plugs that came in my 2001 Virage TXi and said it was not available, but that another Autolite plug was a direct replacement for it.
    I don't know what is so specific about NGK's. By reading accounts similar to yours that the ONLY plug to run in these boats is NGK and nothing else will suffice.

I have a neighbor with 2 '94 750's. He made the big mistake of going to an auto parts store to get new plugs. The guy at the desk cross referenced some Splitfires or some other such plug. He said "hey, I got this other plug that's hotter that crosses over too" My neighbor is used to the hot rod scene so he assumed a hotter plug makes everything run better It didn't take long to melt the center piston!!!!!!

After he told me this story I've done my best to bring him up to speed on the quirks of the 750's and help him to get the right parts.

Lesson learned? Always use the OEM spec NGK plugs in Polaris skis without exception.

KJ

6. +1 by:

iv had better luck using the 4 digit stock number on the box , when i got to advanced auto parts and say i need a ngk bpr8es they always raise a brow and act like i dont know what im talking about untill i show them a old spare

i dont have a old box in front of me but napa always has a set you will want to use ngk spark plugs , always get the exact part number that you have stock i have used a set with out a R in the part number and that R means resistor which made it run all kinds of funny , it might be your problem

Thread Information