1999 Genesis issue with reverse mode/rpm limiter issue

Hey fellows. Hope all is well with everyone.

I have a 1999 Polaris Genesis completely rebuilt last summer and a newer stator at same time.

Ran great last year and still runs strong. This year i took the ski out only 1 time all day long with no problems.

I went to start the ski a couple weeks later in my garage and it would not take the rpm's and later found out after taking the unit in that i must have bumped the reverse unit in the back which doesnt work anyway when i bought it and i believe someone took something off the back of it because it was probably stuck in reverse from the hull mounted reverse unit going bad i am guessing?, so the shop tells me i must have bumped the ski and i told them i remember standing on the back of it to get to the rafters of the garage and the back end hit down so the shop told me they turned the rear unit by hand to act like it was back in forward and they said the rpm's/ power was fine again and it was back in forward mode and told me if that unit gets moved 10 degrees it can be like in reverse mode.

I took the ski out a few days ago for the first time for a good hour or two and it would sometimes once in a while go into reverse mode while i was driving and the rpm's would basically go away like it had no power and i remember the shop saying something about the digital display so i hit a button and the ski went back into forward mode and the ski had power again. It seems like i need to reset my multi function display because something is going weird with it and this happened to me a few times while out on the lake and everytime i hit a button it reprogrammed something and the reverse/mode/rpm limiter goes away everytime i did this.
    The thing that bothers me is this happens when i am driving at anytime or at full speed.

Sorry for this long message but i want to be detailed right from the start. K447 helped me out last year with a problem i had and i hope he is still around to chime in on this one but anyone feel free to help me out.

Thanks. I really appreciate you taking the time.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome back

When the problem happens, does the display say 'Reverse' or show the red lamp?
    Any message at all on the display, like Check engine?

Did it matter which button you pressed?

Does the MFI display otherwise work perfectly? RPM, speed, etc?
    No water or fogging inside the display?

K447. Thanks for the quick reply. The unit does not have any water inside in any way or fogging,I remember hitting different buttons and eventually i hit the correct button then instantly the speedometer would go all the way to the right then the ski would be in forward mode and run great again. I was hitting different buttons trying to get the rpm's back on and i noticed i was not able to get the rpm's to show and i also noticed the rpm's never showed since i got the ski back from the shop. Also depending on which button mode i was on, the speedometer would be on normally and then on another button would show digitally at say 52.1 versus just trying to see the speedo gauge.

K447. Sorry i forgot to add that the display does not show reverse and never has. the reverse does not work and i think the mechanism was taken off of the back of it. The check engine light i have never seen. The oil light always blinks because i have a block off kit on the engine and there is till oil in the tank which i plan on removing soon.. The shop did say something about the display but that is it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by markdgenesis View Post
    ... forgot to add that the display does not show reverse and never has.

the reverse does not work and i think the mechanism was taken off of the back of it.

...The oil light always blinks because i have a block off kit on the engine and there is till oil in the tank which i plan on removing soon..

The shop did say something about the display but that is it.
    ... I remember hitting different buttons and eventually i hit the correct button then instantly the speedometer would go all the way to the right then the ski would be in forward mode and run great again.

I was hitting different buttons trying to get the rpm's back on and i noticed i was not able to get the rpm's to show and i also noticed the rpm's never showed since i got the ski back from the shop.

Also depending on which button mode i was on, the speedometer would be on normally and then on another button would show digitally at say 52.1 versus just trying to see the speedo gauge.
    Well, is the reverse bucket installed on the back of the jet pump, or not?

See this thread for video clips and photos of a Virage jet pump, which should be very similar to your Genesis jet pump.
    How to remove and re-install the Polaris 148mm jet pump (1994-2004)

Is the electric motor assembly/box for the reverse still installed inside the hull? The motor has a cable/rod that connects the motor to the reverse bucket on the jet pump.

It sounds like there may be several problems going on here.

Get the oil warning fixed. It may be blocking the display from showing you other things. Look up how to install a 33 ohm resistor in the electrical box in place of the oil level sender wire. That will cause the display to always show full oil.

The speedometer needle going full scale implies that the display is 're-booting' while you are riding. That should not happen

The MFI display has several display modes. Have a look at the MFD links from my signature, and read up on how it is supposed to work.

Anything else you have not mentioned yet, that may be pertinent to diagnosing these issues?

Any other electrical system problems, past or present?

Hi, when it reboots/speedometer goes forward scale is not when i am riding but when i am stopped and when i hit some buttons then it is back in forward mode and out of reverse then everything is fine. The reverse unit is still mounted inside the hull. I believe someone may have took off something in the back though by the pump but not actually sure at the moment but i will find out but the bucket is still there. It seems as though i need to completely reboot my mfd display or something. Maybe i will try disconnecting the battery before i take it out again? What about disconnecting the wires to the reverse hull mounted unit? I will try that 33ohm resistor thing to stop the oil blinking issue.

Only electrical problems were a brand new stator installed at the complete rebuild and starter relay installed at same time.. No other electrical issues.

+1
    ..when it reboots/speedometer goes forward scale is not when i am riding but when i am stopped and when i hit some buttons then it is back in forward mode and out of reverse then everything is fine.

The reverse unit is still mounted inside the hull. I believe someone may have took off something in the back though by the pump but not actually sure at the moment but i will find out but the bucket is still there.

It seems as though i need to completely reboot my mfd display or something. Maybe i will try disconnecting the battery before i take it out again?

What about disconnecting the wires to the reverse hull mounted unit? ...
    At the moment I suspect that the MFI display has nothing to do with the Reverse RPM limit issue. It may just be coincidence that when you are sitting still for many minutes and pressing MFI buttons seems to be related to the engine having full power when you next start it.

The MFI automatically goes into 'sleep mode' after sitting for five minutes with the engine off and no button activity. The next button press while in sleep mode 'wakes up' the display, and the speedo needle will go full sweep.

Get the oil warning fixed, and let's see if there is any other message the MFI wants to show you.

If you unplug the PERC reverse motor unit, then the reverse RPM limit function will also be disconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you unplug the PERC reverse motor unit, then the reverse RPM limit function will also be disconnected.
    This was going to be my suggestion too...unplugit and see what it does. If the linkage is not connected inside the motor housing, it's possible the sensor that reports to reverse position to the MFI is bouncing around and sending eratic signals to the MFI.

Hi, Thanks fellows for the follow up tips and i agree i need to disconnect the electrical to the reverse and see what happens. As of now i have not done anything to the ski and i have not yet did the oil light thing yet, and i had no way to get it out to the water which is actually across the street from me but i do now. I actually have not had it out since i originally started this post but i will get it out on the water this weekend and i will definitely document what is exactly going on and what buttons i am pressing. I should be posting back on Sunday evening about this issue. I really do appreciate you guys taking your time helping me out here. Talk to you soon.

my 2002 polairs genesis if having the same reverse problem

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    This was going to be my suggestion too...unplugit and see what it does. If the linkage is not connected inside the motor housing, it's possible the sensor that reports to reverse position to the MFI is bouncing around and sending eratic signals to the MFI.
    hi what do i need to up plug to get read of the reverses.. i all really unplug the gray/red wire and thought it was the right fixs now it back weard please till me what to upplug thanks

Thread Information