+1

Coil packs stuck!!

Hey guys. I read the thread on the coil pack cracking issue, problem is my coil packs are jammed tightly in the head. I had the same problem with number 2 coil pack last summer, had to use vice grips and all my stength to pull the bugger out. I left a few marks on the top of the coil and ruined the rubber doing it that way though. Is there a more effective way of getting them out?? Would maybe getting the motor up to running temp help ??
    When I get the other 2 out I plan on removing the metal sleeve and wrapping the plastic with insulation tape like I did to number 2. Is that what others are doing?

Thanks in advance

+1
    This usually happens when you ride in salt. It happened to a friend of mine a few months back but if you check them and grease them a little regularly then you shouldn't have anymore problems with it.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    clean the grud on the top rubber hat, use white grease, never use bearing grease, I say it from own experience, I guess it dries out due to heat.

try using lithium grease. I grease 3 spots on a coil, the electronic connections, the part where the spark plug meets the coil, and the rubber hat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post
    This usually happens when you ride in salt. It happened to a friend of mine a few months back but if you check them and grease them a little regularly then you shouldn't have anymore problems with it.
    Yer mate, I ride 100% in salt water. I'm always cleaning the engine bay and using cans and cans of inox, but some things still catch me out. I have always greased them with marine grease, not sure if this stuff is suitable. I'm not familiar with different kinds of grease at all..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    clean the grud on the top rubber hat, use white grease, never use bearing grease, I say it from own experience, I guess it dries out due to heat.

try using lithium grease. I grease 3 spots on a coil, the electronic connections, the part where the spark plug meets the coil, and the rubber hat.
    Thanks for the reply bro, I will be sure to do that when I get the dang things out!!

Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Yer mate, I ride 100% in salt water. I'm always cleaning the engine bay and using cans and cans of inox, but some things still catch me out. I have always greased them with marine grease, not sure if this stuff is suitable. I'm not familiar with different kinds of grease at all..
    I too used marine grease around the coil sticks to keepthe water out as I ride about 90% of the time in salt water, but I haven't usedit around the spark plug and electrical connections. I don't see the problemwith this but I have only been riding for about a year. I have also removed theplastic and metal sleeve around the coil; it had rusted and was starting toswell. I used marine grease around the coil before using some heat shrink toreplace the plastic sleeve mainly because I'm not really sure what it was usedfor anyway, and thought the metal sleeve may have been used as an electricalshield. I guess what Iím saying is thatit should be alright to use for this app as long as itís not around theelectrical connections.
    I also have a problem with the coils being pushedout, I think itís just trapped air andas the motor heats up the air expands and pushes them out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Hey guys. I read the thread on the coil pack cracking issue, problem is my coil packs are jammed tightly in the head. I had the same problem with number 2 coil pack last summer, had to use vice grips and all my stength to pull the bugger out. I left a few marks on the top of the coil and ruined the rubber doing it that way though. Is there a more effective way of getting them out?? Would maybe getting the motor up to running temp help ??
    When I get the other 2 out I plan on removing the metal sleeve and wrapping the plastic with insulation tape like I did to number 2. Is that what others are doing?

Thanks in advance
    Go for heat shrink instead of just tape. Get the stuff that has the glue inside.

White lithium grease is the way to go IMO. It's water resistant and can take high temp.

+1
    So do the coils stick on the plug or to the insert tubes or cover?
    never had the problem so just asking.

Could you try removing valve cover with coils in?
    Just thinking out loud.

Thread Information