Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

piston compresion new rebuilt help

guys Ihave an 06 rxp 3 stage just got the motor rebuit it blows blue smoke on fist start after sitting for a wile. Also it blows a significant amount of blue smoke thru the catch can specialy at WOT. Question. What is the compresion on the on the RXP and were is so much blue smoke is coming from ? just did an AFR test run and it ran 12.2 at WOT 8400 RPM. I have 130 PSI compresion hot with 5 HR of running time on the new rebuilt and 140 HR before it got rebuilt. my friend on the othe hand has an 04 RXP with 240 HR and with a cold engine has 140 PSI of compresion and my neibourgh with an 09 rxp with 3HR of runnining time has 150 PSI of compresipn on a cold engine so what is consider a GOOD compersion.

THANKS for the help

04-05 engine comp. is 145 hot
    06+ engine comp. is 140 hot

About your engine did you change valves seals??
    and your A/R must be 11,8 @8400

+1
    So is 130 on all three cylinders bad? I always heard that was were it was suppose to be?

+1
    I just did mine... 08 RXP

cold 130,120,130 / warm (not hot) 140,130,140

+1
    Cam setting will change compression.

+1
    I would give it a little more time. Depending on what was done in the rebuild ( bore/hone block? ) The rings will take some time to seat. Also, smoke after sitting for a while sounds like valve seals to me. I have had motors gain as much as 10-20psi of cranking compression hot after 1500miles ( car engines)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Cam setting will change compression.
    Cam setting is stock, He has 130 in all cylinders and is Worried something might be wrong with the motor.

Just got back from riding and took a compression test again. 120psi warm.

When the motor got rebuilt, the mechanic said that the machine shop said that the engine was within clearance, so the mechanic just put new rings, new bearings, new valve seals and then he honed the cylinders for the new rings.

When I got home from picking it up from the mechanic, I ran the motor and when I pulled the dip stick while running, I could see slight blue smoke coming out. And after riding on the lake when I opened the front hood I could see smoke coming out of it too. I didn't think anything of it at the time, because since it had just been rebuilt, I thought there was some oil that needed to be burned. But after 3 times going to the lake and 5 hours of running, it's still happening... Is that normal? How much time do I have to give the rings to seal? If they need time at all...

The reason why I rebuilt the motor is because the block was warped and I kept blowing head gasket. At the time I was running an X charger with the Reba upgrade wheel and 11.7 on AFR at WOT running at 77mph on a full tank. So I asked Jerry which one was better, the X upgrade or the Babyrude, he said the Babyrude because it's a 14psi wheel. So I purchased the wheel and my engine is running 75mph at 8400rpm, 12.2 on AFR.

I put my old X charger upgrade back on but it didn't do any better, so it's obvious that my problem is not in the charger, it's in the MOTOR... but where?

Banned User
    +1
    I'd hate to say it, but it could be the gasket again....

Strange for a block to be warped that bad though, are you using the same mechanic all the way through?

Well, the nightmare began when I purchased an X charger and the flat washer broke.

So I took it to the mechanic to take the motor appart, remove the residues from the metal washer that broke inside and rebuild the super charger.

When I got it back after 2 times in the lake I over heated the engine. So I posted my problem on the forum and a few guys suggested that I check oil cooler hose, and sure enough, it had been connect to the reserve anti-freeze tank and the hose coming from the reserve anti-freeze tank was connected to the oil cooler, they were SWICTHED!!

So I reversed them... but by then the damaged was done... I asked a few mechanics and the all agreed that switching the hoses WILL cause the engine to over heat.
    So, I went ahead and replaced the head gasket myself without decking the head, so the head gasket blew again...
    Then I had the head decked and installed a new gasket... and it the head gasket blew AGAIN...

Now, I'm really frustrated. I explained to Jerry my problem, and he said that there are only 2 possible reasons that will cause the head gasket to blow:
    (1) Warped Head or
    (2) Warped Block...

So now I go back to the same mechanic that switched the hoses while working on my SeaDoo to begin with and explained the whole situation... and since I don't know how to work on the bottom end of the motor, I asked him to take the motor appart, and take the block to the machine shop to have it checked. I also asked him to put in a new head since the old one had been decked to the max.

He said they had to take .07 off the block.... well, that solved my head gasket problem.

But now have another problem, there is so much smoke coming out of my motor, that I don't know if I have a gas motor or a wood burning motor...

And yes, it is the same mechanic because he was highly recommended... But I have to say, haven't had much luck with him... and I'm the one holding the short end of the stick $$$$$$...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information