'98 XL1200 problems!

Hey guys,
    So here goes the saga. I bought a 2nd hand, 1998 XL1200 with a Rva Stage II kit and a whole heap of other performance parts. Before I bought it, I took it for a ride, and it was hitting 74 mph (GPS'd at 71 tops). Everything ran well, compression tested the cylinders and bought it for less than half what the guy was asking. It was a steal. I also had a friend check it over and take it for a ride who is a certified Marine diesel mechanic, who said it was in good shape.

I decided that it looked terrible, so commenced with a rebuild:
    PHP Code:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?126970-1998-Yamaha-XL1200-Respray 
    I hustled to get the ski before a particular Bermudian holiday, put it in the water that day, and went to give it a blow. I gave it gas, the engine revved up and....it bogged down, topping out at a leisurely 6 mph.

This was over my head. I didn't mind respraying the ski, or doing fibreglass work, but when it comes to engines, I'm not good on jet skis. So I got in a mechanic, who was considered (by quite a few in the know) to be the best in Bermuda for this sort of thing. He immediately took it out, and recommended a full carb rebuild, which I duly told him to do. 900 dollars later, he took it out and then informed me that two motor mounts on the left hand side had delaminated and needed to be replaced, along with the drive shaft dampner.

Now, I know this guy is not trying to take me for a ride: I trust him inplicitly. However, his estimate for this job is around $2,000, on a ski that I paid $3500 for. My question to you guys, is this job possible with a somewhat limited mechanical knowledge, or should I get my friend the mechanic to fix it, for around $1200?

Cheers from Bermuda.

Gainesville, Ga.. Lake Lanier ....... 2006 FXHO Cruiser
    How much is a Bermuda dollar worth when compared to the US dollar?

Bill

Wow...just looked it up...one to one with the US dollar

Its on par. We use the US dollar interchangeably.

So yeah, labour is expensive in Bermuda. As is everything else. That just seems to be the going rate-i'd rather pay a little more and get a good result, but 2grand is a little much!

Bump!!
    Trying to work out the extent of this job. Any tips or tricks? Any advice at all?

Thread Information