Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do I clean corrosion on MPEM "block"?

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 GSX with fuel injection. The multi-function display doesn't read anything. I've owned this for about 2-3 months. The ski runs fine and VTS works. Just nothing on the display.

I unplugged the "block" from the MPEM that goes to the display and noticed some gooky connections. More like moldy yucky water than rust (but what do I know).

What's the best way to clean the female connectors? I sprayed WD40 into the male side and that seemed to clean it up pretty good.

I did all of this after disconnecting the battery (FYI). I didn't want to short anything out - if that was possible.

Dip it in Coke and then water?

Steve

+1
    if its green corrosion then I usually take the plastic clip off the end of the plug, spray it with brake clean to get the wd40 out and let it soak in half warm water half vinegar with a bunch of salt in it. after that, blow all of the water out and use dielectric grease

The "corrosion" was brown - like moldy water. Think the above would still work? What's the significance of green corrosion?

Quote Originally Posted by recoil View Post
    The "corrosion" was brown - like moldy water. Think the above would still work? What's the significance of green corrosion?

Sounds like it's just surface corrosion on the tin plating of the terminal. Green corrosion would mean (to me) that it penetrated through the plating into the copper. At that point I personally would be pulling each wire out and inspecting the terminals and replace as needed.

+1
    Hit it with Fluid Film. It works wonders.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    NO COKE. That myth was busted years ago!

Electrical Contact cleaner spray and toothpicks wooden matchsticks work wonders. I've also had quite good results using some plastic zip ties snipped at the sharp angle. Good magnifying glass setup..with some detail work you can do wonders on the connectors as long as the plating isn't gone.

Bought electrical contact cleaner.

Will try toothpicks (didn't think of that).

Also bought some dielectric grease.

Of course, now it's raining cats and dogs (been raining all week here in VA). I guess I'll try this tomorrow.

I hope the LED will start working when I clean everything up.

If you use toothpicks or anything like it to clean the contacts, you will need to check the grip of the contacts afterwards. I have seen a number of cases of the contacts damaged so they have lost their grip. Note that it is pretty easy to fix the damaged pins as long as they are not severely corroded.

To check the grip, run down to your nearest industrial jobber and buy a few #55 drill bits. (I always buy extra because they are tiny and get lost in my toolbox, LOL) These are .052" diameter, same as the pins in the MPEM. Grip the fluted end and stick the non fluted shank of the drill into each contact in the connector. You should feel resistance both in and out.

If not, take apart the connector, and fix each pin that doesn't grip. There are three tangs on the barrel of the contact that stick inward. Take a tiny screwdriver and push each of the tangs inward, so you bend each slightly inward. Test the contact for grip with the drill shank.

I have fixed a number of "supposed MPEM problems" with the above fix, usually after someone else has stuck something too big (usually a DMM probe when testing, or toothpick while cleaning) into the end of the pin. Also note that the most common size small drill bit you can easily buy at Home Despot or other hardware stores, 1/16", will damage the grip of the contact if you insert it, as at .062 it is too large and bends the contact tangs outward.

Great info everyone. I really appreciate it. I will be trying the above this weekend and will report my findings.

+1
    What were your findings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information