Simple FX HO Winterizing question

Last year after winterizing my FX HO the plugs were fouled in the spring. I'm curious if I did something wrong, or if it's just common? (It shouldn't be on a 4 stroke)

For winterizing, I was told to run fuel stabil in the gas, and while on dry land, burp the ski 3 times (10 seconds max) with 1 hour intervals in between, so most of the water drains out. I was also told to spray fogging oil into the 3 intakes under the airbox and do one final quick engine burp to coat the cylinders? is this correct? Should anything be sprayed into the spark plug holes?

thx

can somebody help a brother out!?!

+1
    Sounds like you did everthing correctly to me. Preventing rust in the internal engine parts during storgage is priority #1 plus stable in fuel also. I usualy put a new set of sparkplugs in at the start of the season anyway . Don"t forget to keep a battery tender on your battery too . Just keep on doing what you have in the past and you should be fine IMO.

+1
    fogging oil tends to foul out the plugs, nothing wrong there, happened to me this year on one of my skis.

Thanks! I'm still a little sketchy on spraying fogging oil into the air intakes vs the spark plug holes...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterzx225 View Post
    Thanks! I'm still a little sketchy on spraying fogging oil into the air intakes vs the spark plug holes...
    I would do both, can't hurt. don't go crazy with it in the spark plug holes though, just a quick spray, then bump the engine over (don't start it) to make sure the oil is spread out.

+1
    I had my throttle sticking this year on a few different rides and after posting the question here on a new thread, I was asked if I ever lubed the throttle body. I never had so I did and everything has been great since I did that. I did this by spraying lube in the intake.

I always pull the plugs and spray a little in each hole too. In the spring, I start the ski on the plugs in the ski and after running it on the hose a little while, I remove and replace the plugs with new ones. Normally good for a whole year after that regarding plugs.

Don't forget to hit her with grease as needed. Not familiar with your ski but would recommend looking at the maintenance schedule in the service manual. And as Mr. Jordan said above, keep the battery charged in the off-season. I've been told it really helps the life of a battery if it's kept in a warm place.

+1
    Skeet... When fogging through the intakes (4) spray fogging oil down each one for three secs, replace airbox lid & start motor for 10 secs at idle then switch off.......do not rev motor when doing this. I have pulled the plugs directly after doing this & they are well coated with oil, so no need to really spray down the plug holes.

Using higher octane fuel will help stop the plugs fouling. I fog my FXHO regularly...all through the season, & have never had a fouled plug. They get changed yearly as a precaution usully with 80-90 hrs on them & are still in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    Skeet... When fogging through the intakes (4) spray fogging oil down each one for three secs, replace airbox lid & start motor for 10 secs at idle then switch off.......do not rev motor when doing this. I have pulled the plugs directly after doing this & they are well coated with oil, so no need to really spray down the plug holes.

Using higher octane fuel will help stop the plugs fouling. I fog my FXHO regularly...all through the season, & have never had a fouled plug. They get changed yearly as a precaution usully with 80-90 hrs on them & are still in good condition.
    Thanks Bud

Thread Information