Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

04 Yamaha cruiser FX HO warning light/engine overheat

Hi Guys,

I have a question for experts here.
    I was flushing my waverunner at Davies landing. I think I over ran the motor for a minute not realizing water has stopped and the 4 minute is out. (water dispenser is on 4 minute timer). Anyways, when I walked up to my trailer to unplug the line and turn off the engine, I saw the warning light being on! I immediately turned off the engine. Few minutes later, I did start the engine for 1 second just to see if the light is still on and yes, it came on! I wiped everything and drove home.

Blaming myself and being upset that I forgot to check on the water, I checked the manual and could not find anything indicating if I have damaged anything. Remember engine was idling with no load and I must have overshot not more than a minute and thirty seconds top!

I did flush one more time when I got home to see if the light will come on or I will get any error signal but all showed fine!

Do you think I may have damaged anything? My ski has only 56 hours and has been extremely well maintained except for this incident!

Please advise!

Thanks guys,
    Rez

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1
    i think if it were mine i would ask myself some questions, did the engine sound fine when it was running? did it smell hot? did it sound different when i got home and flushed it?
    i think i would also change the oil and plugs as a precaution before i ride it again (but thats me mr ocd)
    and i would never ever flush my ski on a water timer thats asking for trouble

+1
    Great questions.

1. Engine did not smell hot! I actually did pay attention to that.
    2. It sounded normal and I even throttled up while flushing and running at home and it sounded normal.

I have plugs and oil and can replace those! Great points!
    Do you think I may have damaged cylinder head gasket?!

Thanks much for the reply.
    Rez
    Quote Originally Posted by corkycat View Post
    i think if it were mine i would ask myself some questions, did the engine sound fine when it was running? did it smell hot? did it sound different when i got home and flushed it?
    i think i would also change the oil and plugs as a precaution before i ride it again (but thats me mr ocd)
    and i would never ever flush my ski on a water timer thats asking for trouble

+1
    the tolerance for the sensor to register an overheat situ will be low i think so basically if the ecu is reading hot temps (even if its not cooking) then the warning will flash to let you know there is/or maybe something not right.
    as above if it were me i would change the oil and plugs anyway as if it did get hot it may have been hot enough to turn a few of the components in the oil (shortening its life) this will not be anything to worry about im sure but keep your eye on it and dont use a timed flush again, i would be more worried about running the pump dry for a few mins than the engine.

+1
    Thanks man! Will do the oil change today! You are correct, pump might give before damage to engine!
    Again thanks much for the reply, it is more comforting to me to hear it from an expert!

Cheers, Rez

+1
    no worries fella, them engines are bullet proof so you shouldnt have any bother with it if its tret well

+1
    Rez

All should be fine........As said above the overheat alarm is set relatively low, but it also cuts the motor when a certain temp is reached, so if yours was still running, then you must have switched it off just in time. Pump should also be fine.....it's a yamaha not a seadoo, so cooling around the pump area is not so critical.

+1
    Thanks Dave!

I trully appreciate you guys helping out!
    Great picture by the way! Love the Yami and background!
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    Rez

All should be fine........As said above the overheat alarm is set relatively low, but it also cuts the motor when a certain temp is reached, so if yours was still running, then you must have switched it off just in time. Pump should also be fine.....it's a yamaha not a seadoo, so cooling around the pump area is not so critical.

+1
    Gentlemen,

Oil changed done but I have a question. I extracted exactly 3 quarts from the engine, however I put back only 2 1/2 quart. After 3 minutes of running and a cool down of 10-15 minutes, my meter shows oil exactly in the middle! Should I add the other half quart and replace 3 with 3 or this way it is better? Keep in mind I also changed filter! All this was my first time. Here's what I did so you know:

1. Ran the engine for 10 minutes with water in the correct order
    2. extracted the oil 3 quarts exact
    3. Replaced filter hand tightened it and then about 1/8 to 1/4 turn with wrench!
    4. Added 2 1/4 quart
    5. Started the engine, with NO water for few seconds maybe 10. Read it was below half. Added 1/4 more quart then ran the engine for 2-3minutes with water and read the meter after 15-20 minutes that's how long it took me to put the ski back in the garage.

There is definitely a sense of pride when you do it yourself, aside from the savings in time and cost!

Should I add more or leave it as is? BTW, engine sounded smoother, better! Almost less vibration! Maybe I am dreaming but that's how it felt to me!

Cheers,
    Reza

+1
    It certainly does give you satisfaction carrying out work yourself & whats more, you know it has been done correctly (hopefully!)

Did you check the oil level before you did the oil change? I would leave it as it is for now & check after 20 mins or so of riding. Check within a few minutes of stopping motor to get a true reading. I would always aim to have it midway between marks.....no higher.
    I always torque the oil filter up.....17Nm (have to look up what that is in ft/lb) it really is not that tight. It is really satisfying when undoing it to use minimal effort. Many on these forums have complained about fighting to get the oil filter off........if you torque it up you will never have that problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information