Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

New to polaris, need some advice... possibly parting out or rebuilding a genisis

Hey guys im a yamaha rider, but i have a 2000 polaris genises 1200 efi with a snapped crank and shattered piston. Its not technically mine its my uncles and he was going to sell it to me for 750 dollars, the ski is in pretty good shape other than that, this is where you guys come in... Would there be any market for this if i decided not to rebuild it and decided to part it out? Is the hull a desireable hull to sell? And what about the pump, electronics, fuel injection? Thanks because if i decide to rebuild it then ill keep it but if it proves to expensive id like to cover the 750 i spent... opinions?

The emm and matching injectors COULD fetch up to $1000 if they are from a known running machine.

+1
    Unfortunately the machine isn't running, the crank is broken but the emm is complete. I may or may not buy the thing I'm not sure I really would like to fix it up but if its not cost effective to fix ill just part it out if I buy it. Do you guys think the hull would find a buyer? Or the rest of the ski parts?

+1
    those hulls really have no market like Hester said the emm is worth the most

+1
    Yeah I figured, well I'm more thank likely going to go with the sea doo gtx instead... Same price but comes with a trailer too. Seems like a good candidate to fix up for her.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
    ...likely going to go with the sea doo gtx instead... Same price but comes with a trailer ...
    Is the Genesis price non-negotiable?

The Genesis is a unique hull. It is the only four person rated PWC that is not huge. That means you can legally tow two people on a tube, with room for the driver and spotter plus both tubers.

It also moves fairly well for a large PWC. Speed can be in the mid-50s.

VERY stable hull in the water. Very easy to re-board in deep water, very hard to tip over.

The Ficht fuel injection makes for an easy starting and smooth response to the throttle. No choke, no fuel selector. Just insert the lanyard and press Start, right from cold.

If the fuel injection system is still in working condition (which you might assume given the engine failure was mechanical), then you are looking at a straight-forward 2-stroke engine rebuild. The internals of the fuel injected engine are identical to the carburetor version. Only real differences are the cylinder heads and throttle bodies.

Would you be doing the engine rebuild yourself?

+1
    yes without a doubt id be rebuilding myself, problem is the crankshaft is snapped and one cylinder is trashed. so at a bare minimum i need a crank, bearings, full gasket kit, 3 new pistons, one cylinder, and the others honed (assuming there not nikasil plated?) plus i have no experence working on the fuel injection that is un-farmiliar territory to me... i hear its a real bitch to work on without diagnostic tools. true?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow What is involved in working an a Ficht fuel injected engine?

Quote Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
    yes without a doubt id be rebuilding myself,

problem is the crankshaft is snapped and one cylinder is trashed. so at a bare minimum i need a crank, bearings, full gasket kit, 3 new pistons, one cylinder, and the others honed (assuming there not Nicasil plated?)

plus I have no experience working on the fuel injection. That is unfamiliar territory to me... i hear its a real bitch to work on without diagnostic tools. true?
    The red domestic 1165cc engine (Genesis, Virage) cylinders are not Nicasil, just regular rebore and honing procedures (carb and fuel injection cylinders are the same).

The MSX 140 1192cc engine does have Nicasil cylinders.

The Ficht fuel injection is different to diagnose, but the computerized diagnostics are often not needed. We have lots of info and assistance around here to solve most Ficht issues.

The Ficht system is actually rather straightforward, once you get used to it. There are really only five main parts, plus crank and temp sensors, and the throttle position sensor.

The main parts are;
    Ficht Fuel Injectors (almost never fail)
    TPS Throttle Position Sensor (should be replaced, can cause weird problems, costs $100+)
    Electric fuel pump (pressure regulator often falls off, can be easily repaired)
    Flywheel (magnets can come loose, which sometimes also causes stator damage)
    Stator (usually OK unless metal debris causes damage)
    EMM Ficht computer

The main EMM module can be diagnosed to a reasonable degree using simple tests and tools, without a computer hook-up. They can fail, and there is a company that specializes in testing and repairing them, if the need arises.

Beyond that, the usual PWC stuff applies; checking connectors and connections for corrosion, replacing old oil lines, etc.

Note that the oil injection system must be retained. You can not convert a Ficht engine to pre-mix oil+gas.

One upside to Ficht is that the fuel economy is rather good (for a PWC). Unlike a carburetor 2-stroke engine, almost no unburned fuel goes out the Ficht exhaust. Not only does that provide for good fuel consumption, but it allows the engien to meet California Low Emissions rating.

+1
    i would like to buy this and fix it up, but like i said he wants 1000 for it... from what i gather i can just rebore the cylinders and put 3 new pistons in it, and buy a crank from sbt for it.. and a shop manual... hmm.. maybe if he took less than 1000 id take it but its sortof steep for the amount of money it needs.

+1
    all jetskis are expensive to fix.. join the crowd! lol you have to really like the hobby to commit to it..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information